Help cloning windows hard drive to Boot Camp on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMpathetic, Feb 18, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

My acquaintance's parents own an auto body shop. For their computer needs, they had previously used two Windows XP PCs. However, they both crashed- in the same week! Their hard drives are intact, however.

They want to be able to switch to a pair of Mac minis running XP in Boot camp. My question is, how that would go about happening. They want their XP installs to be clones of their PC's hard drives.

Any thoughts guys?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you can live with VMWare it should be pretty straightforward.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ to take the physical drive and make a bootable image from it. (On a Windows box).

Boot Camp could be much trickier, since as far as I know none of the usual tools (Ghost, Acronis, ...) are able to backup or restore a Boot Camp image.

Note too that you may be treading on thin ice w.r.t. the EULA for the Windows licenses for the original boxes. Assuming they are preinstalled OEM licenses you probably were not granted any transfer rights. Assuming XP, you will likely be forced to re-activate. Might just be easier to pick up a couple of new XP OEM licenses.

B

3. dieseltwitch macrumors regular

Wondering if there is any new news on being able to clone the Boot Camp Windows Drive. I tried using disk image both by using the disk restore tool and my copying the contents of the drive from the mounted drive image. but when i start up Parallels it say no "boot drive"