Help Compiling in terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Adudefelldown, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Adudefelldown macrumors newbie

I am trying to compile programs in terminal using the gcc command but everytime I do i get the error as follows:

or this error when i try to link use -framework Foundation:

pretty much the same error i guess. Both source files are simple one line print statements so I know the error doesn't lie there.

I am running Snow Leopard on my mac book pro and I do have Xcode installed, I'm not sure if that matters though.

If anyone could tell me how to link the library that would be great!

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Can you post your code and the command you are using to compile?

3. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

It looks like you've forgotten to include "stdio"

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Put your classic "hello world" program in a file called "hello.c". Then at the prompt type "gcc hello.c". To run the program type "./a.out"

Here is a guess: You have parenthesis messed up and what you think is a call to printf() is really outside of main() and you are defining printf rather then calling it.

5. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using this command for the following code
    gcc test.c
    and this command for the following code
    gcc -framework Foundation project1 -o prog1

6. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

I added this to one of the codes and still got the same errors

7. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

isnt import stdio suppose to be before main not after?

8. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

For the objective-c code I'm not sure how it works because I'm trying to learn it and just doing the early examples out of a book. it compiled just fine in xcode without the #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

EDIT:

That is a miscopy on teh c code above the #include is outside the main

it actually looks like this

9. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

My programming is not the best since im just now learning it but i know with C at least your program is suppose to look something like this
    #import<stdio.h>

int main()
    {
    }

10. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

@EX ya i know I just somehow managed to copy my code wrong. Its actually above it like my edit shows.

Edit.

All of my code will compile with xcode but i still get those errors with gcc. I think i have to change my bash profile or something but dont know what i need to put in there because I had to create a profile just so it would recognize gcc

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

Just be sure you aren't using gcc when you shoulda been using g++. Don't ask. :mad:

Oh, what the heck. I was compiling a bit of C++ code and forgot and used the gcc command. Doesn't work very well.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Your source code is written in the Objective-C language. Your source file's name, however, is only "project1", not "project1.m". Without a ".m" extension, gcc has to guess what language it is, and it's guessing wrong.

Change the name of the file to "project1.m", then recompile.

Code:
    gcc -framework Foundation project1.m -o prog1
    For reference, ".c" files are C, ".m" files are Objective-C, ".cpp" files are C++, and ".mm" files are Objective-C++.

13. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that seems to help with the lcrt error atleast and makes sense it shoulda been obvious lol. I still get an error when compiling the c code

and the objective-c code

it seems to not be finding the header files for some reason. Is there somewhere where i have to specify where these different librarys are?

14. chown33 macrumors 604

The compiler should work without any other configuration or command-line options. The following command-line will emit a bunch of compilation details, and list the full pathname of every #include'd file. Post its output.

Code:
    gcc -v -H test.c

15. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

Heres the output from that command

16. chown33 macrumors 604

First, you used lower-case -h when it should be upper-case -H. Copy and paste the command exactly as it was given. Post the output.

Second, the one useful part of the output is this:

Code:
    #include <...> search starts here:
    /Developer/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/include
    /usr/local/include
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/include
    /usr/include
    /System/Library/Frameworks (framework directory)
    /Library/Frameworks (framework directory)
    End of search list.

This tells me there's a "/usr/local/include" directory, and it will be searched for headers before the standard "/usr/include" directory. Without seeing the -H output, my guess is you've got a damaged or empty headers in /usr/local/include, and it's preventing the compiler from seeing the standard file.

/usr/local/include is most likely something you installed yourself, because it's not part of the standard OS or Xcode install. I don't see /usr/local/include on my Leopard or Snow Leopard installs. In fact, the convention is that dirs or sub-dirs under /usr/local are not modified by any standard OS or tools install. The /usr/local sub-tree is managed entirely by the local user or administrator.

My first guess is to remove (or move aside, or temporarily rename) /usr/local/include and try compiling again.

One other thing: enter the following command and post the output:

Code:
    ls -la /usr/include

If it's not a fairly long listing, then something is broken.

17. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

i just got rid of that /usr/local/include and it still gets the same error

18. chown33 macrumors 604

That looks bad. I think there should be a couple hundred .h files in /usr/include. Either the install didn't work, or it's been damaged or "cleaned out" since the install.

19. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Agreed.

OP, you'll want to reinstall Xcode, I think. Not sure what happened to your includes, but if that went missing, who knows what else also went missing. So a reinstallation would probably be the wisest thing to do at this point.

20. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, alright. I will try that as soon as I have alil spare time. Thanks. Ill post again once I know if it fixed it or not. I'm crossing my fingers. :eek:

21. Adudefelldown thread starter macrumors newbie

I have reinstalled xcode and everything is now working. Thanks everyone for all the help!