Help, compressor way too slow!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by the vj, Jan 9, 2011.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

I am using compresssor 3.5.3 on a dual quad mac pro and the renders are so slow!

I am looking at the processors graphics and is using barely them.

I am rendering files from FCP and is taking 3 times the render time than doing them directly from FCP.

What can I do to get the actual performance?

Thanx

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

first you export your sequence THEN you send it to compressor.
    Sending from FCP to compressor is a CPU hog.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Also, rendering your timeline is a lot different than compressing it. When you render your timeline, Final Cut is rendering all of your tracks, effects, overlays, etc. in the format you're natively editing in your sequence. It's not compressing anything.

As for compression, depending upon what format you're going for, that will likely take much longer.

As matt suggested, export as a quicktime movie (not quicktime conversion) and then import to Compressor.

4. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow... Apple does not say that, the trick of cmpressor is to actually do the entire batch in the background. If that is the case I should batch render directly in FCP which is 3X times faster.

I mean... if batch rendering and compressing in FCP is faster than compressor... what is the actual use of Compressor any way?

Even Abobe Media Encoder is better/friendlier than Compressor if that is the case.

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

It seems like you dont understand what rendering and compressing actually is. Rendering is used too loosely and can mean different things.

As someone already mentioned, you need to render your FCP sequence in order to create new media files the "merge" all you video and effects together into single layer reference video files. Once your sequence is rendered then you export your file and bring it into compressor.

Compressor is used to convert (sometimes still reffered to as rendering) to other files types/codecs.

FCP still does the initial render when you try and send something to compressor.

6. hsilver macrumors regular

Compressor set up with qmaster

Try looking into setting up qmaster on your computer for at least 3 of your processors. Not hard to do. Should already be on your computer -maybe in preferences and / or Utilities. Will make a huge impact on speed.

7. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me take a look at it, somewhat I pull everything.

Thank you.

8. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Look into your Qmaster settings in your System Preferences and set up a virtual cluster for compressor so that it will use all of the processing cores.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_cores.html