Help! Connect 2.7Ghz PPC G5 to MiniDisplayPort displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ikm, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ikm macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm just about to upgrade to a new iMac with thunderbolt etc, and an additional display.

I am currently using a PPC G5 2.7gHz (2005) which has DVI display ports. It's running 10.4.11 due to a combination of Logic and Protools software and hardware requirements. I can't update the OS or it will mess up Logic and Protools.

I need to continue using the G5 occasionally for older projects. I would like to be able to connect its DVI ports to my new iMac to use as a display for those occasions.

As I understand it, I'll need something like an Atlona AT-DP200 DVI to Minidisplay port converter. Can I then plug this into the iMac's thunderbolt port and use it in target display mode to display the G5? Will it work with my elderly OS and do I need any other adaptors (ie minidisplayport to thunderbolt?)

All advice gratefully received!

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Search other threads here...the new iMacs only accept video input from other Thunderbolt-equipped machines. Input via miniDisplayPort is "broken," i.e. no longer accepted. DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapters won't work. Everyone is pretty much waiting for Atlona, etc. to come up with a Thunderbolt adapter, but nothing yet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775