Help! Connect 2.7Ghz PPC G5 to MiniDisplayPort displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ikm, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ikm macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2011

I'm just about to upgrade to a new iMac with thunderbolt etc, and an additional display.

I am currently using a PPC G5 2.7gHz (2005) which has DVI display ports. It's running 10.4.11 due to a combination of Logic and Protools software and hardware requirements. I can't update the OS or it will mess up Logic and Protools.

I need to continue using the G5 occasionally for older projects. I would like to be able to connect its DVI ports to my new iMac to use as a display for those occasions.

As I understand it, I'll need something like an Atlona AT-DP200 DVI to Minidisplay port converter. Can I then plug this into the iMac's thunderbolt port and use it in target display mode to display the G5? Will it work with my elderly OS and do I need any other adaptors (ie minidisplayport to thunderbolt?)

All advice gratefully received!
  2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Search other threads here...the new iMacs only accept video input from other Thunderbolt-equipped machines. Input via miniDisplayPort is "broken," i.e. no longer accepted. DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapters won't work. Everyone is pretty much waiting for Atlona, etc. to come up with a Thunderbolt adapter, but nothing yet.