HELP! Connect PS3 to iMac through Airport

Discussion in 'iMac' started by youashwag, Sep 10, 2009.

1. youashwag macrumors regular

I have been tring to connect my PS3 to my iMac for the past couple of days but with no success. Airport is on and broadcasting through the card built into my mac but it keeps saying "it can't connect to the server." I have connected my ipod touch and Wii with no problem through airport but for some reason it won't work with the ps3. Any suggestions or help?

2. Dercoleman macrumors newbie

Hope this helps

This is mainly for my own archiving purpose on the forums here(hehe)
    I thought there might be some people out there who'd like to use the Airport ability on their PS3.
    Found this with some quick searching(done because my net is shaped... no online games for the rest of this week QQ ) and used my n95(my usb key) for my internet connection.
    Anyway, hope some of you guys enjoy this.
    Source: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=710786*
    I finally got my PS3 to connect to the internet using the built-in airport card. Here is what I did.

Turn on Internet Sharing. If you don't know how to do that then ask me and I will walk you through that as well.
    Open Terminal and type this exactly as shown:

cp /etc/bootpd.plist /tmp/bootpd.plist

Hit the Return key. It may seem as though nothing has happened. That's okay.

Turn Internet Sharing off.

Go back to the Terminal window and type:

open -e /tmp/bootpd.plist

Hit the Return key. A file will open in TextEdit. Locate this section of the file, near the end:

<key>reply_threshold_seconds</key>
    <integer>4</integer>

Change 4 to 0 and then hit Command+S to save the file.

Go back to the Terminal Window and type:

sudo cp /tmp/bootpd.plist /etc

You will need to know the administrator password. If you do not have one set up, then you might need to set one up first. You will be warned that this could be dangerous. I don't know what any of this is doing, but it worked. So if it messed up my computer, I can't tell because everything seems to be working perfectly.

Okay. After you enter the password, hit the Return key.

Turn Internet Sharing back on.
    If you are wondering how to share your internet on the Mac, it's in System Preferences -> Sharing