Help connecting Dell U3014 monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Montymitch, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I just picked up a Dell U 3014 monitor, and I need help figuring out the best way to hookup this beast to my 2010 MBP. I want to use all of the pixels (2560x1600), and my understanding is that HDMI doesn't support that high of resolution. I've spent too much time googling this and I keep finding not so helpful answers from 2008. If anyone here could point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

2. Nemic macrumors member

3. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

Thanks. I just read the reviews on those and they look pretty flaky. Ugh, I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew.
    You mention thunderbolt, but my MBP has mini display port, not Thunderbolt. Will that be a problem?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Get either a Mini Displayport cable or a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable and you'll get full resolution without needing an additional adapter.
    Thunderbolt and Mini Displayport have the same form factor connections, so you use the same cable for displays regardless of which type of computer you have. Don't get a Thunderbolt cable though, as those will not work.