help connecting macbook to samsung hdtv

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by packercheezhead, Feb 26, 2009.

1. packercheezhead macrumors newbie

hello hello. so i have this samsung tv, a 42 inch plasma found here:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...ions&subtype=plasmatv&model_cd=PN42A450P1DXZA

i also have a macbook purchased about a year and a half ago. I have a mini-dvi to vga adapter along with a vga to hdmi cable. I have plugged it all in and nothing shows up. The tv and the macbook detect that there is a connection but I can't seem to figure out how to make anything show up on the TV, so I'm pretty sure it's just an issue with computer or tv settings. I've played with each dimensional setting in random combinations and whatnot, but I just cannot figure it out. Any help would be magnificent.

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Try using a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, then a DVI to HDMI adapter instead. This is what I used with success. The VGA adapter is causing the problem with your setup. I haven't been able to find a single mini-DVI to HDMI adapter yet.

3. packercheezhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Just curious, did you try the VGA adapter as well? I don't get why that wouldn't work.

4. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Because VGA is Analog, and DVI/HDMI and your TV are Digital. It's like trying to play a cassette tape with a CD player. :)

5. packercheezhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey hey, I got those cables and everything is working perfectly. I greatly appreciate it.

6. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I have an older Samsung HDTV from about 4 years ago. It has an HDMI connection on the back and everything...here is my situation:

I connected my MBP to the HDMI through a standard DVI-HDMI cable. I (finally) figured out I needed to set the mode to STB on my TV to get a signal from my MBP. The problem is, when my MBP screen shrinks down to allow for the HDTV resolution, my Samsung is only showing MOST of my desktop. There is no menu bar at the top and it's only showing half of my dock.

Is this a 16:9/16:10 issue? I've tried different resolutions and no dice on fixing it. I've even tried matching the two up, mirroring, etc.

Any ideas?

7. YoshiKing macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, and I was wondering how I would get HD out of it? I already have my Samsung 5 series TV running through PC connection but I didn't know my Mac would support HD. Anyone? Help me!?

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

9. packercheezhead thread starter macrumors newbie

maddog, I also have a similar situation where it shows about half of my menu bar and most of my dock. I haven't found a solution yet...

yoshiking, what kind of cable are you using? I think you need to be using some sort of an HDMI cable to get true HD out of your computer.

And as for you Knight, you fail to realize that cable you have provided has a female end on the end. Last i checked, female/female doesn't compute. It'd be like plugging two power outlets into each other.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

The adapter is only made to convert the mini-DVI to an HDMI port. You then use a standard HDMI cable to finish the connection.

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The monoprice cable works fine, seeing how HDMI cables are Male-Male ended. The minidvi goes into the computer, and provides a female HDMI output port.

He didn't fail there, you did.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It's also about 2 inches long, which would make it a poor choice to connect directly to a TV. Of course, Mono price has a very big variety of male to male HDMI connectors for under 10$. Total solution comes out to 20$ vs the first's poster 40$.

Sorry if I didn't post the whole equation.

13. packercheezhead thread starter macrumors newbie

I see the point you are all making and if you look on ebay you can find the cables mentioned earlier for very cheap and in perfect condition, as I did. For some reason I tend to lean more toward buying Apple products rather than going for the cables that some smaller party created. Whatever works though I guess.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Belkin is not a Apple product (the DVI to HDMI cable on the Apple site is a Belkin). It's like Startech and Monoprice as far as quality and products go.

Monoprice is not a smaller party either. I'd wager they offer better quality that most of the cheap stuff on ebay for very competitive prices.

15. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Did I really need to link one of the 500 HDMI cables sold by monoprice ? One link to their site is plenty.

17. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Then why did you quote my post? I said I haven't been able to find a single cable that will make this type of connection, and you essentially replied "look harder, there is one" and posted a link to a cable that still requires another cable to solve the OP's problem. So, yes, you should have at least mentioned that an HDMI cable was necessary.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

This is ridiculous. You're going to argue that you were technically right when you simply didn't bother to even look before posting, resulting in the OP buying an overpriced solution. Read again what you said :

What I posted was in fact a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter.

19. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Dear god, move on already.

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It's you that's actually arguing. I think you should heed your own advice.

21. packercheezhead thread starter macrumors newbie

This is ridculous. Trajectory obviously implied that there is no SINGLE cord solution. There are multiple two cord possibilities, with prices ranging slightly. There's no need to babble over technicalities. Sheesh.

22. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

23. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

24. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

DVI to HDMI

I have a very similar situation and I was just hoping to get some clarification.

I have a MBP Core Duo. It came with the standard dual link DVI port, and I was wondering which DVI to HDMI adapter I would need. Is this what I'm looking for?

I just wonder because this is a single link DVI connector, or does that not matter since the TV I'll be hooking it to is only 720p and would not need the extra resolution from a Dual-link? Thanks.