Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aj mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hi,

I'm very much wet behind the ears on this topic and would appreciate some sound advice!:)

I have a 21.5" intel dual core 2009 imac that I would like to use on occasion as a mirror display for my 2012 MacBook Pro.

I would like to mirror the mbp screen on the 2009 imac. Not sure if this can be done???:confused:

I'm not sure which cable or adapter is needed to make this happen?:confused: Also are there any settings I would need to amend on either system to make this work.

Thank you!

:apple: 2009 imac, 2011 MBA, 2012 MBP with retina, IPhone 4, IPod Classic & Ipad 3.

Last edited:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The 2009 21.5" iMac does not support Target Display Mode. It was unique to the 27" models until 2011, when it was finally added to the 21.5" models. Without this technology, the only way to get your MacBook Pro mirrored on the iMac would be to set up screen sharing over your local network. If you don't want to hassle with screen sharing, you may want to look into purchasing a refurbished 24" or 27" Apple LED Cinema Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.