Help connecting my G5 Powermac to my tv

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wilz, Jun 18, 2010.

  1. Wilz macrumors newbie

    Sep 12, 2006
    I currently have a G5 powermac (and a macbook pro) and was looking to find out what cables I would need to get them connect to my TV. I have a 27" full HD LG tv which has these connections

    - HDMI in
    - USB in
    - RGB in (pc)
    - DVI-D in (pc)
    - RS 232c in

    So can anyone help with what I need to get my macs connected to my tv? Any help would be massively appreciated
  2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6


    Jun 11, 2007
    should be easy if you have the right GPU. if the GPU has a DVI out connection, then you can hook that straight into the TV! wala! it should go fine :)

    also a VGA (RGB - the blue slot on the GPU) would work too, but is analogue as opposed to DVI/HDMI which is digital.

    you could also get a DVI->HDMI converter cable.

    unfortunately, for all these scenarios you will need to get audio going to the TV somehow, as the video cables cannot support it :(

  3. disconap macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'd assume the TV has audio in, but then you DEFINITELY want to use the DVI out only; there's no real resolution benefit to a DVI->HDMI converter, and HDMI includes audio so the audio in likely won't work with it. The standard or digital audio outs on the G5 are more than sufficient.

    But yes, you basically just need a decent graphics card with a DVI out, a standard DVI cable and for audio, an 1/8" male-->1/8" male (headphone size) cable or a 1/8" male-->standard L/R male or optical cable (depending on the audio input), which you can find online or pick up at your local electronics store.
  4. morespce54 macrumors 65816


    Apr 30, 2004
    Around the World
    I believed your Macbook Pro have a MiniDisplay port... In wich case, you'll probably want to get:

    a) A MiniDisplay Port to VGA converter cable (with a VGA cable - the usual ones - 'cause those connectors are short).


    A MiniDisplay Port to HDMI converter cable, if you can find/afford one (with a HDMI cable, for the same reason mentioned above).


    b) A Jack (headphone) to Jack cable should do fine for sound. (or a Jack to RCA cable, which ever you got on your TV).

Share This Page