HELP: Connecting Time Machine Directly To Mac Via Ethernet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Feb 19, 2014.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

Hey guys, the Time Capsule is a new device to me and I'm trying perform what I think should be a pretty straight forward function. The TC has been setup previously, it's been used for backups and as a file server. What I'm wanting to do is connect the TC directly to my MBP and access the files on there. I've tried it in bridged mode, I've tried in DHCP and NAT, neither one are working for me. I know I could connect to it wirelessly but I need to pull some big files off of it and I'd like to take advantage of a direct ethernet connection. Usually Google has a whole wealth of information, but I'm coming up short this time.

Is it possible to connect your Time Capsule directly to your Mac via ethernet and retrieve data? If so how is that done?

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

We don't know if the OP is on a rMBP and as they've said that they've been changing the settings we can assume that they have a ethernet port or adapter.

To the OP. Plug in the ethernet (connecting using the default settings), then in Finder press cmd + K and connect to afp://xx.x.xx.xx/ (replacing the Xs with your TCs local IP, most likely 10.0.1.1). What happens?