Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I have tried to connect to a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server. I cannot get any document to print to it. The computer recognizes both printers that are connected to it and will print to each one if they are directly connected to the computer, however, I am unable to connect to the print server. Has anyone done this? I have contacted both Apple and Netgear and no one at either place can help me.

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
I'm just guessing that you also posted on Apple Discussions?
quote:
There are two kinds of print drivers on OS X - Carbon and CUPS. All manufacturers except Brother provide Carbon drivers. In Carbon drivers, they get to specify exactly which comm protocol the driver uses. CUPS drivers are different - they work with all the comm protocol types that OS X has. (Postscript drivers are CUPS drivers by default)

You can find CUPS drivers for your HP printer at:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX
or, for the Canon, at:
http://www.printfab.net.

Don't forget to enter the print server port-specific queue name in Printer Setup after you get the drivers.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I have tried to connect to a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server. I cannot get any document to print to it. The computer recognizes both printers that are connected to it and will print to each one if they are directly connected to the computer, however, I am unable to connect to the print server. Has anyone done this? I have contacted both Apple and Netgear and no one at either place can help me.

Can you ping the print server?

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
[There are two kinds of print drivers on OS X - Carbon and CUPS. All manufacturers except Brother provide Carbon drivers. In Carbon drivers, they get to specify exactly which comm protocol the driver uses. CUPS drivers are different - they work with all the comm protocol types that OS X has. (Postscript drivers are CUPS drivers by default]

I am sorry if my post is confusing. I already have the drivers necessary, I just cannot get the printers to work via a wireless print server.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I am a novice at this, so I don't know how to "ping" the print server

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Ok please tell us how you have it setup. Is it connected to a high speed modem then plugged in to the print server?

Have you looked at Netgears site for the install instructions and guides
Netgear

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
"Ok please tell us how you have it setup. Is it connected to a high speed modem then plugged in to the print server?"

Okay, both printers are plugged into a Netgear wireless print server. The server is not plugged into anything else. They work fine with the PC laptops that we have but I cannot get them to work with my Mac:(

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
"Ok please tell us how you have it setup. Is it connected to a high speed modem then plugged in to the print server?"

Okay, both printers are plugged into a Netgear wireless print server. The server is not plugged into anything else. They work fine with the PC laptops that we have but I cannot get them to work with my Mac:(

I have the same netgear print server... There are VERY specific OS X instructions that if you follow exactly everything should work correctly (as they do for me)...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101570.asp

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thanks, Pianos 101!

It works! Finally, after all those phone calls and doing searches on the web, this did it. I sure appreciate your help! :)

jbeazzz

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Help cannot connect to netgear wgps606

Please help. Have tried netgear forum as well. Have a new canon pixma mx850 which I cannot get to print through a netgear wgps606 print server.

Have 2 laptop PCs that work fine. Trying to connect up a mac G4 PowerPC os10.3.9 to the 606.

I have connected by wire(ethernet) from mac to 606 and am able to open the ip address through the internet browser http://192.168.0.104/start.htm it shows the LPT1 printer as idle (usb connection) and no printer on LPT2 ( correct) and I think that it pings ok, although must admit not sure what I should be seeing in the terminal window but loads of lines of text just keep rolling on??
i.e.64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=5.796 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.675 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.523 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=3.38 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=2.243 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.124 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.104: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=2.953 ms etc.

I Installed the mac printer driver from canon cd with the usb direct connection to printer, everything printed fine.

Then tried to setup the printer selecting the following:- Using the instructions from netgear but they are for OS X 10.4.2 "Tiger"

IP Printer
Printer Type ..... LPD/LPR
Address ............192.168.0.104
Queue .............L1
Printer Model ------- Now the comes the problem in
Canon folder there is no MX850 driver
Also no HP Jet direct?
Generic does not work
other/library/printers/mx850 is ghosted and un-selectable. Also if I go to other/Mac HD/Library/Printers/Canon/BjPrinters/resources/database/7.1.0/ mx850series.db is also ghosted and un-selectable.

When I put in any canon driver it pushed a blank page out on asking for a print!!

The Driver is in the mac somewhere as if I connect directly to the printer via usb all prints ok and scans etc ( I know 606 only prints)
Any suggestions ps not very familiar with Macs and how the work..:(

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
First thing - it is almost Never useful to piggyback on a topic that is 2 years old! Most people will just ignore your post!
You should have started a new thread.

Hopefully I can help you. By now in your reading you should have noticed that printing on OS X is based on CUPS (common unix printing system), and CUPS and OS X use postscript. A "generic" driver probably sends postscript code to your printer - no help since your printer isn't a postscript printer.
Second, you probably noticed that drivers on OS X are different from on Windows because Apple hasn't gotten rid of legacy Carbon drivers yet, so on OS X there are two kinds of drivers -- legacy Carbon drivers and modern CUPS drivers. Except for Brother, NO Manufacturer of non-postscript printers has moved forward to CUPS drivers. Your Canon's driver is an old legacy driver. BUT, all the "standard" network printing protocols - IP printing and Windows printing and even appletalk, are CUPS protocols and they require a CUPS driver! To make the long story short, you can't use your Canon-provided driver, you need to find a CUPS driver. Apple knew this issue would come up, so they included one of the open source CUPS drivers in OS X - Gutenprint. You need to update your Gutenprint to a newer version:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Follow the available guides for setting up to print through the print server - if you use LPD, for example, enter the queue name L1 (el-one) (or L2 as appropriate) in addition to the IP address.

Hope this helps.

jbeazzz

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
gsahli thank you very much for your forum advise. New to this.

I shall try all you suggest and let you know.

Thanks again.:)

jbeazzz

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks gsahli

That worked, although the Canon Pixma MX850 is not supported but I found this work around on a linux forum

"A work around to get the MX850 working is to have the latest gutenprint-cups
installed and use the driver for the PIXMA iP5300, although it will only print
at 600x600, For higher dpi you will need to use Turboprint. "

I can now print .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.