Help Connecting to Windows Workgroup & Printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nidserz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi everyone.

I am pretty new to OSX, just been 1 month and a bit. I haven't had much time to worry about anything or play around my new toy, but now I have finally been trying to connect to my Windows Workgroup at home, but can't seem to get the other computers to show up under the "Shared" in Finder.
    Also I can't find the shared printer on the network.

Here is my set up:
    I have an iMac 20" 2.66ghz which I want to be able to access: a Vista Home-Built Computer and 2 XP laptops.
    I have my Modem connected to an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express is used to extend the wireless network.

Note: I have been able to see other computers on the network previously (without the Airport Express in use). Also, I was physically closer to the other computers
    I have also been able to connect to the Vista computer by going through Go-> Connect to-> smb://ip.of.computer, but needed username and password and up popped up an unfamiliar disk mount thing :confused:

I have tried the following:
    - Created a new location and entered the workgroup name in the WINS tab in Network Preferences. However, I don't have a server so I didn't have an IP or anything.
    - Made sure I have File Sharing turned on and Printer Sharing under firewall settings.
    - I tried removing the Airport Express, but still couldn't connect.

Also, I would like to connect to the printer that is connected to the Vista Computer via USB. When I go to Add Printer, no printer is detected. I figured maybe once I am on the network I should be able to find the printer, but I am not sure how to add it.
    Note: I don't think it is a driver issue because I had once connected the printer to my Airport Express (without Airport Extreme) and I was able to print wirelessly.

So finally to sum it all up...
    How do I connect to a Windows workgroup of Vista + XP computers and a printer with an Airport Extreme AND Airport Express with Leopard 10.5.4?
    If anyone has successfully been able to do this or can help in general I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, this whole thing won't work if file and printer sharing aren't enabled on the Vista machine. Vista will auto-disable them if it thinks you're on a public network.

Secondly, the disk mount thing you speak of is completely normal - all it's asking you is which shared folder the Windows machine is offering you wish to connect to.

Third, make sure the Mac and the Windows machines are all in the same workgroup. It sounds like you've got the Mac configured (you don't need to do anything with WINS - it's not needed for home networking).

3. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks.
    The Vista machine has enabled the file and printer sharing as I can access and print from my XP laptop.
    Also when I get home I'll have a look at that disk mount.
    And thanks I won't worry about the WINS ip box.
    I just found it strange that I was able to see the computers in the Shared tab in finder a few times without ever having information in the WINS tab.

Finally, do you think Airport Express is causing the problem (I read somehwere one unplugged the AE and it worked)?

Thanks again.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This isn't a 'I have a solution post' but more a 'keep your chin up, it does work' post.

When I bring my wife's MB into my office and plug it into our network here, I see (under Shared) pretty much all the computers here on the network.

Connecting to them is a different issue. Yes, file sharing, etc needs to be turned on and possibly 'guest' access as well or you'll need to create an account to access the windows boxes.

Printers I would try (there was a good hint somewhere, gotta google for it) IP printing, or you can try to connect via smb to the machine name.

5. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi guys,
    Update - Still having problems but got somewhere...

So I played around with the settings and for about 2 minutes after creating a new location and entering workgroup I could see 1 PC (my laptop) in the shared tab in Finder. However, 2 minutes later it disappeared.
    So I am still having trouble seeing Windows (XP and Vista) in my Shared/Network tab in Finder.

On my Windows XP computer I can access my iMac through guest (for Public folder) and I can access everything through my Account + Password.
    However, after I logged in once to the iMac, looked in the Public folder, and logged back out - the Public folder was no longer visible - only the Printer sharing. Anybody know why?

As for printing - well no luck here so far either.
    I tried entering the IP of the computer by adding it to "Windows" but to no avail.
    My brother's computer, running Vista, has the printer attached to it. I can access the Printer on my XP by logging into his Account on the network so I know printer sharing is on.
    However, when I directly connect to his computer - using Go>connect>smb://ip (he has no shared folders) I get the disk mount, but the printer does not appear.

Any other tips or solution to have Shared computers show up (at first when I got the computer they showed up automatically without any settings!) or get the printer on my vista computer hooked up to my iMac to print on the network??

Thanks
    ugh this frustratess me :(

6. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Bringing back my old thread because my Windows machines keep disappearing from finder :(
    Anybody else having this problem?
    I know its not the settings because they are there sometimes, other times not.
    iMac and Vista desktop are hardwired to the Airport Extreme.
    I cannot even connect using Finder> Go> Connect to server > smb://10.0.1.xxx
    Any ideas?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when i first installed Leopard on my MacBook Pro my PC which is configured for file sharing at first it didnt appear in the Finder under Shared (but could still connect using Connect to Server). i ended up having to enter my Workgroup name "mshome" into WINS and it then appeared under Shared fine and i could connect to Shared Docs with the PC's username and password. but it seems you have already tried this.

after i have woken the PC it takes a couple of mins to appear under Shared (or instantly if Finder is relaunched) and continues to stay if my PC remains awake.

while in Tiger i used this hint to print to my HP DeskJet connected by a Parallel cable (old school!) to my PC over the network. but in Leopard it seems with this configured i can now just
    add the printer from Print & Fax preferences.

to do this select the Windows tab in the add printer window, select the workgroup name and the PC's name and enter your PC's login details, select the printer and then select which driver you want to use. im using the "HP DeskJet Series, 1.3" driver which is a CUPS driver for printing over the network. it seems to only allow printing and none of the printer's features. but if i plug it directly into my MacBook the 930C driver is automatically used and features are available… but i dont want to do this.

Screencapture 1.png

hopefully i have helped you in some way.