help connecting using Terminal

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by OrangeCuse44, Jan 1, 2008.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Im attempting to free up space for 3rd party apps because im getting the low space message. im trying to connect to my touch using terminal by entering the following command: ssh -l root your.ipods.ip.address Terminal then asks for the password which would be "alpine" but terminal does not let me type anything. I can press enter which forces terminal to say incorrect password. What gives?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

although it looks like you aren't typing anything in terminal you actually are. That's just how passwords work. Just type alpine, even though it won't show up. Then hit enter.

3. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I've done that and it still says access denied...

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well what are you trying to do? maybe you would have better luck using cyberduck rather than terminal.

5. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

In the beginning of the thread i wrote that im trying to move my apps and create a symlink to free up space. To do so, I need to type in certain commands. I have been using Cyberduck to SSH into my touch and would prefer to keep using it but can you use it to type in commands?

6. zumpy macrumors member

Were you ever successful?

I seem to have run into the same perdicament. I can ssh with several programs, but terminal keeps asking for an already installed password!
    Did you ever get past it?

zumpy

7. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

8. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

I followed the instructions on this webpage (scroll down about 3/4 way down) and it worked for me....

However, these instructions allow you to use Terminal directly on the Touch and do it. So, assuming you have your Touch jailbroken, install Terminal on it and do it this way....

http://www.i-marco.nl/weblog/archive/2007/12/01/10_amazingly_useful_ipod__ipho

This webpage also has a link to get the Terminal app....

HTH,

Mark