Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
I know this is probably a newb issue, but I've not done this on the mac before.

I'm trying to connect to a remote MySQL database. I have the server name and the port it's running on, also the user name and password. I've confirmed that the connection info is correct.

I downloaded both Navicat and MySQL Tools. Both tools tell me I can't connect to that server.

I also tried connecting by IP address.

I'm not sure if this works with MySQL, but I can typcially test my connection info with Oracle by telneting to the sqlnet port. So I tried to connect to the MySQL port and got nothing.

I feel like I'm being blocked somehow on my side but not really sure.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, I'm running 10.4. Going through an airport wireless router and a cable modem. I guess that info would be helpful.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
where is it hosted? some servers have ip restrictions by default set to "local".

example of this is dreamhost (whom i use) u have to go into the mysql db settings and set the ip address for anything outside of the dreamhost domain (i.e. any pages not hosted on their servers). if you don't you'll get access denied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.