Help consolidating data on multiple drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Live Steam, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Live Steam, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

Live Steam macrumors regular

Hope this is the correct forum. I have a few drives that were used in my Mac Pro, iMac and Windows machines. Most of the data was transferred when switching over, but I believe there's still plenty of data that is unique to each drive.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to go about consolidating all of my jpgs, mp3s, pdfs and various other data including emails? My guess is the total amount of data is at least 1tb and maybe more. I recently purchased a MyCloud with 3tb storage.

Is there some way to seek out files unique to each disk and then write it to the MC drive? I really don't know where to start. I really disliked Windows of any iteration, but can't help think it was much easier to manage data on a Windows machine. iPhoto, iCloud and iTunes really complicated things in that area.

Edit:

If I just copy and paste to the MC drive, will files with the same name be overwritten or can I instruct the process to give it a suffix to distinguish one for the other? Is there anything else I should know about the process?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

If you're willing to use terminal rsync is probably what I'd use.

3. Live Steam thread starter macrumors regular

Can you explain that? Not familiar with it at all. Some step by step would help if you have the time.

----------

OK I did a little reading on using that command. I'm still confused a bit on where to start. I also tried to copy/move using the modifier key (not sure of the terminology) to get the drop down menu option for "move", but it doesn't work between drives.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Probably something along the lines of

Code:
    rsync -auv <source root folder> <destination root folder>

Example:

Code:
    rsync -auv /Users/w0lf/ /Volumes/Some\ Random\ Drive/Archive/

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Sometimes the only way to do what you're trying to accomplish, is "by hand".

That is, keep a notepad and pencil, move some files, make notes, move some more, etc., etc.

6. Live Steam thread starter macrumors regular

Yes that's exactly what I'm doing this morning :(

Thanks for the replies folks.