Help! Contacts Won't Add, Delete or Search!

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by gblunt99, Nov 14, 2015.

1. gblunt99 macrumors newbie

For the past two or three weeks Contacts has not allowed me to add or delete addresses. I can't import them from Mail (it SEEMS to allow it but when I check the data has not been entered). If I type them in they don't stay. If I drag them to Trash, they don't stay trashed. Delete Card is greyed out. I've tried the usual shutting down, repairing permissions etc, but no change.

Can't reinstall because I bought the computer used and I don't have a Mavericks disk.

Last night I upgraded to El Capitan, hoping that might fix it. Nope. It's worse now; I can't type a name in the search slot--it shuts the program down after the first letter or two.

I've got tons of email I can't trash because I need to save the contact info.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Giles

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Are your contacts synced to iCloud or are they local contacts?

If local, under File > Export > Contacts Archive.

In your Users Library delete these files:

Application Support > AddressBook
    Containers > com.apple.AddressBook

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar
    Delete the Trash
    Open AddressBook
    Under File > Import select to import the Contacts-11-xx.abbu file that you exported

3. pacmannz macrumors newbie

Same problem, except also exiting accounts failed. I got my gmail account to work through email accounts but my clear.net.nz account will not logon. I am presently unable to get emails on my laptop or access years of sent mail history.

4. gblunt99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Diane, thanks for your reply and sorry to not get back sooner. I've had so many computer issues that I forgot I posted this (and got no email alert). I'm not synced to iCloud. Mail is synced to a Gmail IMAP account. So I don't know if that qualifies as "local" or not.