HELP!! controls stopped working!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigComeDown, Aug 11, 2009.

1. BigComeDown macrumors newbie

I'm sitting here typing a paper and my illuminated keyboard goes out when its set to be on all the time. I try adjusting it manually and it won't let me. My controls also stopped working on adjusting brightness. When I click increase volume, it brings up my dashboard.

I did not spill anything on my laptop. It just started happening out of nowhere. I also tried restating and its still not working.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

How does it behave with an external keyboard attached?

3. BigComeDown thread starter macrumors newbie

every key works except the for the top row with the functions. I also can no longer open system preferences.

4. BigComeDown thread starter macrumors newbie

i restarted once again and am now allowed to access system preferences. If i hold fn and then hit a function, it will work (except for keyboard illumination, it just makes an error sound.) However if i dont hold fn, the forward and mute button darken the screen except for the window you are using, the lower volume button slides the window you have up off to the side, the raise volume button brings up the dashboard, and all the other top row buttons dont work.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Keyboard Tab

Make sure that the Use F1, F2, etc... box is unchecked. That should give you your controls back.