Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItalianSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hi All:

I have an old Elac Miracord 625 turntable and would like to use it to transfer music from old vinyls to my MacBook Pro. I cannot figure out how to do it since the turntable is so old.

The jacks have rounded tips with a metal base which has multiple prongs. I don't know how else to describe them. I have a Kenwood A5070 receiver, so not the most updated receiver either, but it's in great condition. That's what I have to work with, and I'm optimistic, but I can't figure out where to begin. I feel like I'm missing a piece. I think I need to plug my turntable into my receiver but I don't know how to get my receiver into my laptop, or even if that's the way to go.

If anyone is familiar with the Elac Miracord 625 and this process, I would appreciate any and all responses. My father is convinced it won't work, but it seems so many people are doing this these days that there's got to be a fairly straightforward and very doable answer.

Thanks all!

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Hi ,, I am not too familiar with the Elac Miracord 625 but I think I know the connectors you are taking about. Are you able to plug it in to your receiver or not? If you are you can use the tape out (play) with a phono->minijack lead and just go straight into the mic input on your mac and record in Quicktime.

From the sounds of thigs you cant so your best/easiest solution is a usb turntable which plugs straight into your mac. The quality is OK but if you are wanting top quality recordings to permanently archive your vinyl then you may want to go down a different route (cartridge/turntable/pre-amp/convertor) but that gets expensive quickly.

ItalianSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Yes, I tried and am able to plug the jacks from the turntable into the receiver. So my next question would be whether the phono->minijack lead is something I need to purchase. Once I figure out what that is, where does it go?

As for getting a USB turntable, I know it's an option, and a much easier one at that, but I figure if there's a way to do this using the equipment I already have, I'd rather do that than buy something new. Plus, it's a challenge...always fun. Once I conquer this one, I'll be posting questions on how to transfer old 8-tracks to my laptop!

Thanks again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.