Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfcatt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I have my entire CD library stored as Apple Lossless on an external drive and would like to have a copy of that library on my MBP - but as 192Kbps MP3's.

Is there an easy way of doing this? I don't have the space on my MBP to add the external library to my MBP, then convert it to MP3, then delete the lossless versions off the MBP.. I'm hoping that there is a better way..

Thanks in advance!

Nelson.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
You can connect your hard drive to your MBP and import the songs to you rinternal hard drive without having to add all your lossless files to your MBP :) Make sure you unselect "Copy files when adding to library" in the advanced tab in the preferences. Then add the items to your library and import away!

nfcatt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Hi,

Thankyou! Now all I have to do is remove the duplicate lossless files form the library and I'm set..

Apart from highlighting the individual entrys and pressing delete is there a quicker way?

Thanks again,

Nelson.

nfcatt

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Genius!

Thanks again..

Just in case there are others out there having a similar brain fart as I was, here's what I ended up doing:

1. Ripped all my CD's using lossless to an external drive
2. In iTunes, changed import settings to 192kpbs MP3 and unchecked "copy music to library"
3. Added the external drive music to my library
4. Selected all of the music and "convert selection to MP3"
5. The lossless files were already still selected from step 4, so I just hit delete and that got rid of all of the lossless files..

Thanks again for all for help..

Nelson.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.