Help converting wedding video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by demonsaphir, Mar 13, 2011.

1. demonsaphir macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Im new on the forum and would like some help/advice please.

A friend kindly converted my wedding tape using his PC on to a DVD for my wife and I but im unable to use it iMovie as its a .VOB format.

However, i noticed this morning that the app store has MPlayerX to play it which is brilliant.

However, I am unable to save the file or convert it :0(

Can anyone recommend any programmes/apps that will do this so I can then use the clips in iMovie.

Many thanks,

Demon Saphir

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use for example HandBrake to convert it into another format (e.g. MP4)

3. simsaladimbamba

How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

AND/OR

The following is a "guide" for getting various video formats into an editing application, as those programs don't accept every format and codec that is out there, thus a transcoding (change format and codec) process has to be gone through first.

1. Get the footage from DVD - copied and pasted from How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

As commercial video DVDs use a copy protection scheme called CSS (Content Scramble System), additional software is needed to copy the content of a video DVD to your HDD, which is called "ripping". There are several applications to accomplish this.​

1.1. MacTheRipper 2.6.6 (free)
    Insert the video DVD into your DVD drive and open MacTheRipper and click the GO button, after which you can select the place you want the video DVD's content saved to.
    As this version of MTR is quite old, it will not read many modern DVDs.

1.2. RipIt (19.95 USD, trial with 10 rips free)
    Insert the video DVD and press the RIP button.

1.3. Fairmount (free) - needs VLC 32-bit to decrypt the CSS (thanks to Satori for that information)

1.4. Mac DVDRipper Pro (9.95 USD)
    Insert the video DVD and select a destination folder, then press the RIP button.

2. Transcode the footage to an editing friendly format

As Handbrake does not offer any options to transcode into an editing friendly format (see here for details), one needs to use MPEG Streamclip to have more transcoding options like the .mov container format and a variety of codecs (DV, Apple Intermediate Codec, ProRes, ...), which makes buying (19.99 USD) and installing the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component a necessity, in order to open ripped video DVDs in MPEG Streamclip.

2.0 Opening a ripped video DVD in MPEG Streamclip

2.0.1 MPEG Streamclip > File > Open DVD (SHIFT+CMD+O)

[​IMG]

2.0.2 Browse to the VIDEO_TS folder of your choice and click Select
    [​IMG]

2.0.3 Many video DVDs come with several titles (menu, trailers, extras, film, ...), thus make sure you select the correct title, which might involve some trial and error though.
    [​IMG]

2.0.4 A successful opened video DVD looks like this:
    [​IMG]

2.1 Transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video for iMovie, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro - Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC)

2.1.1 MPEG Streamclip > File > Export to QuickTime ... (CMD+E)

[​IMG]

2.1.2 Export Settings for the Apple Intermediate Codec for PAL DVDs

[​IMG]

Choose the AIC for Compression (video) and Uncompressed for Sound.