Help convince friend to return 'Hot' iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CBlakeston, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CBlakeston, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

CBlakeston macrumors 6502

So, I'd read about the heat issues and didn't worry about it. My own iPad never gets more then slightly warm in the bottom left hand corner - like when you've been talking on a mobile for a while - certainly nothing to worry about, and two friends who got one on launch day don't have any problems either.

Then yesterday I met up with 4th friend who also got one on launch day. We played real racing 2 together for about 20 mins and when he passed it to me to put it on charge I nearly dropped it. It was ridiculously hot. Like bottom of my MacBook pro after encoding video for an hour hot. And not just in the corner but all along the entire surface of the back.

If consumer reports had one like this I can see what all the fuss is about. The battery also runs down at a shocking rate. Like 10% for half an hour of game playing. It's like nothing I've ever experienced. And I told him this.. which brings me to my problem...

My friend is a windows user and hates macs and everything Apple. It's fair to say we have a friendly rivalry going on and when I suggested there was something seriously wrong with his iPad, he just laughed it off and presumed I was trying to 'get one over on him'???

I figured if he won't believe me. Maybe a few of you guys could comment below about hot your own iPad gets. Then maybe I can convince him that something is wrong.

2. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Run the battery completely to 0 then recharge it should be fine then.

3. davereynolds macrumors member

My iPad 3rd gen never gets hotter than my iPhone.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would suggest this might be a case of "MYOB." If he doesn't want to return it even though something's clearly not right that's his decision, not yours.

5. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If yours is normal, let him use it for a while - maybe even offer to trade for an afternoon or something.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Even with all the "heatgate" complaints thrown around everywhere, my first thought when I read 'Hot' and convince in the thread title was "stolen" and not "warm". :p

8. CBlakeston thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol at 'stolen' :)

Change his diapers? Lol ok maybe I asked for that, but I just wanted him to have a good experience. He's just bought a plastic case to clip on the back of it because of it being too hot to hold. I figure that's only going to make the problem worse tho?

MYOB - mind your own business? Lol ok, i'n begging to sense a running theme. Like I said, I just wanted to help a friend.

----------

I offered to, but he's convinced I'm 'cheating' him somehow. Even though we both played the same game for the same amount of time.

I guess you guys are right. I should just leave him be.

9. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

You did not ask for that! Some people show their colors no matter how respectable the forum is known to be.
    Your intentions run parrellel with what being a good friend compels you to do. I woUld do just which you did. My new iPad runs cool but I help it. If we all know. Some run hot than those are candidates for a genius bar appointment.
    I plan on bringing mine in if wifi keeps going from 4 good days to 3 or 4 weak days. My buddy recommended this also.