HELP! Copying 100s of GB of FW Errors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swwack91, Jul 23, 2009.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to copy the entire contents of one firewire hard drive to another. about 300 gb worth...

however i keep getting an error message when it tries to copy. "error code 0"

i think it might have something to do with the size of the files b/c if i try to copy one file at a time, it works. only when i try to select files or folders that are several gb it gives me the error.

how can i do this transfer easily? i can't sit here and copy one file at a time for god knows how long.

THANKS!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What's the file system on the drive that you're copying to?

You might be on the right track regarding file size. If the drive you're copying from is Mac or NTFS formatted, and the drive you're copying to is formatted as FAT32, then pretty much any file over 4GB won't copy over to the new drive. The new drive's formatting limits the maximum size of files that can be stored on it.

To copy over files greater than 4GB in size on your Mac, you have to format as Mac OS extended (with or without journalling). You can do this using OS X disk utility.

Keep in mind that if you format a drive for Mac OS X, you won't be able to use the drive on a Windows computer without the right tools, or until you format it again for Windows.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i discovered that the drive i'm copying to is FAT32. However when i try to reformat the drive, it keeps giving me an error.

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

something about file format verification error.

so now i can't even reformat it with disk utility... what to do!!