Help Copying Applications From External Hard Drive On To New Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eggdust, Dec 21, 2009.

1. eggdust macrumors newbie

Hi guys wonder if you can help.
    ive had an imac g4 for 4 years and the other week the logic board gave up, i took it to a mac repair shop who advised me the repair would cost 600 pounds!! i decided its best to invest in a new imac (running snow leopard if that makes a difference) which im going to buy over the holidays.

the old hard drive has been removed,cased and ready to go. i plugged it into my girlfriends macbook which read it as an external drive... great so far

here comes the question. the drive has all my apps and personal bits which i dont want to loose or reinstall. do i simply drag the applications across on to my new machine? primally interested in iphoto and itunes. will i loose these music files and 4 years of photos?, or can i navigate into the app on the hard drive and drag the files into the new itunes/iphotos on the new machine?

many thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The data is not lost.

You can use the built in Migration Assistant to copy/import your user data to the new user on the new Mac.

But beware that some applications might not run on the new Mac due to Snow Leopard and whatever Mac OS X version you were running.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3322
    (no fancy pics though)

3. eggdust thread starter macrumors newbie

hi many thanks for the quick responce

how complex is the Migration Assistant on the new mac bearing in mind A)im transfering work from a removed harddrive rather than one thats still in a machine? B)ive never done this before.

i rang up the apple shop and they said they couldnt show me even if a brought the drive in and was buying a new machine, they wanted 80 quid to join a club thing so couldhave a one-to-one tutorial. daylight robbery

realy cant justify the cost of shelling out more money if theres an online guide on the web.

again any help you can give would be most appreciated..:)

4. Mumford macrumors regular

Migration Assistant is very easy to use. If you don't want to be bothered with it, you can just copy (drag) your Music and Pictures folders over. That'll take care of iTunes and iPhoto.