help copying data using diskwarrior; need to fix permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacIIe, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MacIIe macrumors newbie

Hello,

An HFSJ mac HD crashed from another mac. I connected it externally, via USB, to a working macbook pro and installed diskwarrior on the working macbook pro's hard drive. I started diskwarrior from the OS (I didn't boot using the disc) and it ran for a few days, trying to rebuild the directory for the crashed mac HD. It concluded that the crashed mac HD was mechanically failing and could not replace the original directory with the rebuilt directory and, therefore, it could not display an original and preview pane, side-by-side. It was, however, able to offer just the preview of the rebuilt directory and advised that I copy the data off to another storage device, which I am attempting to do now.

The problem is the preview directory is locked and read-only. When I attempt to copy files over to another storage device, OS X, with respect to the preview directory, indicates that "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items.

I clicked on get info for the preview directory and the permissions are grayed out. There is a checkmark for the "Ignore ownership of this volume" checkbox. For my username, it says read and write, and I am the sole user on this machine. it also has "staff" and "everyone" as usernames, where "staff" is read & write and "everyone" is read only. The lock is locked and, like the rest of this section, grayed out and cannot be changed.

I realize that DiskWarrior automatically locks the preview of the rebuilt directory. But how am I supposed to copy files to a different storage device if I can't change permissions?

Edit: I should mention it is DiskWarrior 4.2 and Mac OS X 10.5.8. The crashed Mac HD I am unsure, but I found a user guide on it for Tiger. So, it is probably 10.4.x

Thank you.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Boot from the DiskWarrior disk, run the Rebuild process again, and click Preview. Now, instead of using the Finder, you'll be using the DiskWarrior Preview application, which is a dual-pane file browser, and you'll be running as root, so no permissions issues. You could also enable root on your Mac and recover that way, but booting from the CD's probably easier.

jW

3. MacIIe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Well, here's the issue with that:

1) DiskWarrior is reporting that "Comparison of the original and replacement directories could not be performed because the original directory was too severely damaged. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory. So, rebooting on the disc itself would not change this fact, that I cannot view both file systems, side-by-side.

2) The drive is mechanically malfunctioning and DiskWarrior took days to complete and I'm afraid rebooting and doing it all over again is just not feasible right now.

There is a pencil that is crossed out in the lower left-hand corner of the preview directory. That means that it is locked. I tried to change permissions on the drive, as a sudo; I tried many different methods for changing permissions, I even downloaded some programs that claim to get around permissions, but they all failed and usually the resulting output in terminal is the file system is read-only.

I have enabled root user. I will see if I can copy files now.

Thank you.

Thank you.

4. MacIIe thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I don't know if root affected this or not cause I never tried it before and that is copying the files to my internal start-up Mac HD from the crashed Mac HD works. Before, I was copying the crashed Mac HFSJ HD data to an external NTFS drive. The NTFS drive was not locked, like the preview directory. The drive permissions says I can read & write. When I get info on a specific folder in the NTFS drive, however, the permissions say "You have custom access". What does that mean?

I should mention that I have MacFUSE and NTFS-3G installed but I don't know how to mount the NTFS drive using NTFS-3G. I called up DiskWarrior and they confirmed there are no permission issues with the preview directory. I should be able to drag and drop it to another (mac) drive. The issue I'm having is I wish to copy the data over to an NTFS drive.

Is there a specific method for mounting an NTFS drive to NTFS-3G, or does plug & play take care of everything and mount it properly?

Thank you.