help copying iPhoto library to WD My Book Quick

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pkreder26, Apr 1, 2010.

1. pkreder26 macrumors newbie

:confused:

NEED HELP IN A QUICK WAY!!!!

I have a iMac OSX 10.5.8 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I am trying to copy my entire library contents in iPhoto to a Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 (1TB capacity). I am fairly computer literate but kinda not.

How do I copy all my photos (21K photos & 102GB worth) which are mostly RAW format onto the WD external drive???

I'm really at a loss. I am moving out and the computer is staying but I want to take my iPhoto contents with me.

HELP!!!! 1st time use in this forum...hoping for big things.

thanks in advance

:D

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Go to your Pictures Folder and there will be either a folder called iPhoto Library or a file representing your iPhoto library. Drag and drop that file onto your external hard drive. Moving 102GB will take some time. If I understand correctly, that is a USB 2.0 drive which means it will take well over an hour to transfer the data.

3. pkreder26 thread starter macrumors newbie

where is that pictures folder? It's not the iphoto on the dock right? I'm just Mac-illiterate enough to make this a pain in the ass...thanks for the help

4. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Go to your Hard Drive and on the left side panel there should be an icon called your "username" - whatever that would be. The pictures folder will be in there.

5. pkreder26 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

so I got everything on the WD external hard drive. Now I am trying to plug it into my friends macbook and view the files...the library is there on the drive...but when I open it...HIS iPhoto library comes up. How do I view and access my photos on his computer.

6. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Double-Click your library to open it. His iPhoto application is opening his library by default. You can also hold down the Option key while opening iPhoto to present a "Choose Library" window.

7. pkreder26 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I will try that today...you have been a great help. Nice avatar by the way!!!

8. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Glad I could help. Thanks, I love The Office!