Help copying my DVDs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GrantMeThePower, May 20, 2011.

1. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

Hi guys...I just got my first Mac and am trying to figure out how to make copies of my P90X dvds. The problem with them is that they are getting scratched and i take them in and out of the case everyday and they are really expensive. I travel with them too and i think it would just be a lot better for me to have copies.

I read about some and tried handbrake for "apple universal" but that made a m4v or something like that and then iDVD was very confusing but i was certain that it wouldn't let me use that. I then tried to use a different program called burn to get that. It sort of copied the video but there was no sound, it didnt have any chapters, and the quality was really bad.

All i'm looking for is something that lets me put in a disc, rip, then put in a blank and burn. Its ok if its two programs, but i'm so lost with which software to use.

Thanks guys!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

RipIt or Mac DVDRipper Pro will do just what you need

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Handbrake produces an m4v file which can be played through itunes. You can store the content on the hard disc on your laptop or an external USB drive. Saves having to use the DVD's.

4. GrantMeThePower thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, man. Took a quick look at the websites and I think those will work. I like that they give you the free trials also. personally, i prefer the price of handbrake, but oh well!

Nebo-I want physical DVDs. I work out in my back yard and i only have a dvd player there. Also when i go travel its helpful to have a physical dvd.

Thanks guys.

5. ayasinsk macrumors regular

Google Mac The Ripper, which is actually a very nice FREE DVD ripping software for a mac. I use it all the time to copy dvd's to my mac, then use toast titanium to burn to actual dvd. Regarding Handbreak you can rip the dvd into a video file, then use imovie to burn it to a dvd, for free.