Help: could i install Macos to external HD, then

SBDS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
put this HD back in my Macbook pro to boot up ?

Here was my problem: my Macbook crashed, can not boot up, with Apple Icon, booting half way, then give white screen with "0" in the center; so, i tried to boot to safe mode with holding "shift", not work;

then I tried to boot to recovery partition, just realized i forgot my firmware password, since it has been a quit while, no clue what it is. Worrying my data, I took off HD, external connecting to another Mac, I could be able to see my data and two partitions, back up those data immediately.

Next, I tried to reset NVRAM/PRAM in order to bypass firmware PW after remove one 4G Ram, still not work !

Now, I am thinking to install MacOS Sierra through external connecting to another Mac computer, plan to install on the 2nd partition with hope of recover the current primary partition,

So, my question is: is it doable, I am not sure it is going to boot from 2nd partition, since firmware is PW protected.

Thanks so much in advance !

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
You can install the Mac OS to another drive and boot from it...

BUT...
Without the firmware password, the Mac may prevent you from booting "externally".

You can go to an Apple Store and have them remove/reset the firmware password, BUT... they WILL NOT DO THIS UNLESS you have "proof of purchase" to show them to prove you ARE "the owner".

That's the way it is, and you won't persuade them otherwise.

If you don't have proof of purchase, the only other possible way is to go on ebay and search for those offering services to remove the firmware password. There are ways out there to do this.

SBDS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Thank you, Fishrrman, I am planning to install OS through another Mac externally, after install OS, I will put the HD back in Macbook pro, then boot up internally, you think it will do the "trick"?

The macbook pro was 2012, it was a work gift, because I am still doing some work for my previous boss, and my boss said he was not the one that set up Mac initially, so he did not know firmware PW either, actually he knew very little about computer.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Again, if you don't have the firmware password, I don't think this is going to work...

SBDS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Thank you very much for your input, i will see what I can do, i guess, if i still wanted to use this Macbook, i probably may need to buy ebay to reset firmware PW.

Thank you !
[doublepost=1542313690][/doublepost]Hi, Fishrrman, what if I erase/re-format recovery partition, will it remove firmware block ?

I think I could probably see this hiding partition through another Mac externally.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The firmware (EFI) password is not on your hard drive. Replacing the hard drive will not affect that password. It will still block your attempts to boot to another drive.

Yes, there are on-line services that claim to remove the firmware password. Good luck on that!
You COULD try taking to a "genius" at an Apple store. Explain your situation. Maybe you can convince someone at Apple that you have legal ownership of your MBPro. That's a pretty firm requirement before Apple will help you.

Another possibility, if you have contacts at your former job, that someone there will know what that firmware password is, particularly if they have any kind of IT support employed by the company (someone set the firmware password... there may be company record of that password --- maybe :cool: )

SBDS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Thank you all above !very helpful, also learn something !