Help CPU GPU above 100C no fans!!!

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
Hi,
My late 2008 macbook pro is overheating : CPU and GPU diode above 100 and the fans aren't reacting!!
(See picture)
Is this normal?
I tried to run the same things on an older mbp : same time boot (leopard, and snow), same app launch (warcraft 3), and the 2008 is like super hot in less than 5mins (of displaying the game MENU!!) while the older one is cool!!!
Btw : It's the same for both my snow and mavericks partitions. Hardware problem?

I know there are some apps that manually turn on full power on the fans, and I know the mbp fans don't always react very fast, but 100C...

If anyone knows anything about this please help me!
Thanks!

Attachments

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If you have your original disk you can run the Apple hardware test which will point out any issues. But without it I can tell you that if you can hear the fan then it's failed. You can pick them up on eBay or reputable sellers. It's an easy job.

That said looking at the temp and fan speed I would say your not looking at degrees 'c' but your looking at degrees 'f'

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
If you have your original disk you can run the Apple hardware test which will point out any issues. But without it I can tell you that if you can hear the fan then it's failed. You can pick them up on eBay or reputable sellers. It's an easy job.

That said looking at the temp and fan speed I would say your not looking at degrees 'c' but your looking at degrees 'f'

I'll try that thanks :)
I checked, its degrees celcius, thats the problem!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'll try that thanks :)
I checked, its degrees celcius, thats the problem!
Then your fan may be failing. You could download a manual control and see if you can crank it up manually. If you can then an smc reset could resolve the issue

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

Definitely celsius, since some of the other temperature readings would be below freezing if the scale was F!

It does sound to me as if the fan is failing or the sensors are giving incorrect readings.