Help, crashed and need to find my stuff

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by isculpt, Nov 8, 2007.

1. isculpt macrumors member

was working on the comptuer online shopping cart and things were acting a little strange. No big deal, I think maybe I just need to shut the computer off and start again. When I did it looked like it did when I bought the comptuer. There are a few things on the desktop, but everything else is missing. Poked around and found the user in teh applicacations folder, and a bunch of other things, can't find my entourage e mail at all. Does anyone know what happened? Can you help me find my e mail? My doc has totally changed as well. This is strange. Glad the new comptuer comes in a few days, but it would be nice to know what happened.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just to make sure: You did change the Home folder name, right?

If so:

In the Finder, go to the /Users folder.
    Locate the new home directory, which bears the users' short name.
    Add "_new" to the new home directory's name.
    Rename the old home directory to the user's correct short name.
    Log out and back in with the affected user account.

3. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

As I look around, there is my old user folder, in the applications folder, it appears to have all of my stuff. ( this is a folder and does not appear as a little icon with my user name next to it) However there is the exact same user name ( the one that should have my stuff) in another place with nothing in it.

So as I understand it I name the one that has nothing in it "new and my name" But the old one just looks like a folder, if I log in and out will it change into an icon?

4. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if I put the folder in the correct place but when logging out and back in it just made a new folder with my name and nothing in it instead of reading the folder wiht the dedicated name that it should read as user.

5. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

did it again and it worked! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Any ideas why this happened?