Help - crashed MBP, corrupt HD. How to back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eyeman2020, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Eyeman2020 macrumors newbie

I would be grateful for any help please.
    My 2010 MBP WIth OS mavericks suddenly got stuck today then shut down. When I started it again it showed up an OSX utilities window with options to restore from back up, reinstall OSX, get help online or repair disk using disk utility.

I chose disk utility to repair the disk. When I clicked on repair disk in disk utility I got a message saying the disk can't be repaired, back up as many files as possible then reformat the disk and restore backed up files.

How can I back up my files from disk utility?

Grateful for any advice to recover my files and sort the problem.

2. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Before you do anything when OSX utilities comes up, just close it. When I applied the latest Mavericks update to my iMac it did this. I closed utilities and it booted fine.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A backup is supposed to be made before you have data loss. You could try putting the drive in an external USB enclosure, replacing the internal with a new drive and see if you can get to any of the data.

4. Eyeman2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried closing OSX window and restart, still returned to a welcome screen asking me to choose language then back to OSX utilities.

My top priority now is not to lose the files in my hard drive.

Any other advice?

5. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Oh I forgot. Once you close OSX utilities and reboot, hold down the option key and then your boot devices should come up. Choose your HD and hopefully that will work.

6. Eyeman2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's beyond my technical capabilities. The system is asking me to back up as many files as possible then reformat. Not sure how to back up though!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have a bad drive that will need to be replaced.

You can try to use Disk Utility from that recovery screen to copy Macintosh HD to an external drive by going to the restore tab then putting Macintosh HD in as the source and the external as the destination then click the restore button at the lower right.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd take it to Apple for a Genius to look at it, you'll need an appointment.

As said the drive needs to be replaced, iFixit shows you how or a service centre. Any further writing data to the drive will not help it. Professional data recovery is $$$$.

When you do get it working invest in a Time Machine backup or at the least DropBox for those important documents.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. Fishrrman, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

Fishrrman macrumors G3

I, too, have a 2010 MacBook Pro.

Changing the drive is easy-peasy in the Macbook. All you need is a Philips #00 screwdriver and a Torx T-6.

If you were to put your MBPro into my hands at this moment, here's what I'd do.

1. First, get a new internal drive. I'd buy either a 128gb or a 240gb SSD.

2. Get a USB3/SATA docking station. Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Docking-...394203891&sr=8-1&keywords=syba+usb3+sata+dock
    Only $20 and it will serve you well.

3. When the hardware arrives, put the new drive into the dock and connect it to the MBPro

4. Boot to the recovery partition (as you have been doing since the failure)

5. Open Disk Utility and initialize the new drive.

6. Choose to do a software restore, but NOT to the internal drive. Instead, install a clean copy of the OS to the external drive.

7. Once the installation is done, restart and boot to the external drive. Create a new account with administrative priveleges.
    EDIT: To boot to the external drive, reboot and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears. Then select the external drive with the pointer and hit return.

8. With the new drive up and running, next, SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN.

9. Go to ifixit.com and bring up the section for replacing the hard drive on a 2010 MBPro.

10. Do the drive swap -- again, it's EASY. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS (shouting intentional)

11. With the new drive swapped out, reboot. Is the boot good?

12. If you've got a good boot, connect the old damaged drive.

13. Does it mount on the desktop? If it does, that's a very good sign.

This is what I'd do.
    I suggest you take these steps, and THEN get back to us.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is no excuse not to have a backup in this day and age. Computers, while much more reliable, are still machines with moving parts. The hard drive is dying and you constantly firing it up for OS X Utilities certainly isn't helping. Put a new hard drive in and try to connect the old one in a USB enclosure. And do yourself a favor and order a USB hard drive. Time Machine is practically invisible when backing up and doesn't affect you at all. Set it and forget it.

12. Eyeman2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks all for your advice. I'll follow Fishrrman's steps and hope for the best.
    I guess that's a lesson learnt and will certainly have a regular backup set up in the future.

Many thanks.