HELP: Create a OSX BootDisk (for any Intel Mac System)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XSLord, Feb 29, 2008.

1. XSLord macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Last couple of weeks I have been trying (via Google search) to find out how to create a bootdisk which would allow me to use it to boot from any Intel Mac System, but have not find any suitable discription on how to do it.

So i would really appreciate if somebody could help me!

Kind regards
    XSLord

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You could just install a copy of OSX on an external drive and then to boot to it, hold Option on startup with the drive plugged in.

3. XSLord thread starter macrumors newbie

You are completely right, didn't though it would be so SIMPLE!

I already had an external USB Drive connected to my Mac Mini, so after reading your reply, I said to myself "could it be so simple, well let's try it", so i unplugged it and connected it to my MacBook Pro, and to my surprise it just worked!

The reason i though it would not work, was because i had already created a minimum OSX (Tiger) installation on a 4GB Flashkey on my MacBook Pro and when i connected it to my Macbook it did startup but the screen was totally messed up.

I got a lot of experience with imaging in windows xp, and it's totally impossible to start/run it on (even) a similar system (ie HP nw8440 image on a HP nw8430, just forget it) without "sysprepping" an image, even cloning a windows xp drive between 2 identical systems (ie Dell Precision 5100) is not recommended.

So with that in mind I was convinced having the same experience with OSX.

Once more this proves how great apple systems are!

Thanx for your help.

PS: now i need to figure out how to strip OSX to only the most essential stuff.

4. XSLord thread starter macrumors newbie

I would like to the same on an USB Memory stick of 4G

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Intel Tiger was machine specific, thus a copy from a different line of mac don't play well.

Leopard is not machine specific, however, PPC cannot boot intel install and vice versa.