Help creating a new email/username

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by allieannarbor, Dec 20, 2008.

1. allieannarbor macrumors newbie

I want to create a new gmail account, mine is outdated, not quite from high school but close enough. I want to create a name that I can share with employers, family, and friends and is really simple.
    Here is some things it may include...
    Allison
    Ann (middle name)
    Allie (nickname)
    Goodman (not a fan of using this and may not be my last name for forever)
    March 9th (birthday)
    3 (number I use quite a lot)
    from Montana (MT) went to University of Michigan, going to continue teaching preschool for a bit
    Why did you use what you use for your email or username? What other things might I include?
    uhhhhhhh.... ideas?

2. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I think first initial+last name is pretty much standard, professional. You can always change your address if you get married down the road and change your last name. Anything with numbers or nicknames, etc looks tacky and unprofessional, in my opinion.

3. 7254278 macrumors 68020

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

for me I did First.M.Last@gmail.com. It is the easiest and very professional. If you look at work email addresses and they follow a format like this. First Initial then Last name.

Really go with your legal name makes it the easiest.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree. My email has always been my first name, middle initial, last name. I would have gone with first initial last name, but it was taken. :)

The only pitfall is sometimes people will miss the middle initial... so on resumes or business cards or whatever it might not hurt to make it obvious, e.g., JohnWSmith@gmail.com.

I find numbers are whatnot kind of tacky, so I would stick to just your name. If you have trouble finding something that's available, you can play with ordering or dots... like a.goodman@gmail.com, or whatever.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

My GMail is a name-dot-initial-dot-name, but the benefit of hosting myself is I name@domain.com email addresses..

simple is best, but some good ideas are covered in this antiquated post on ALA.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to add to my original post is look at what companies use for work email address.

For example

Rprime@Autobots.com

Never use unprofessional names or corny names for professional use email addresses. I will admit my screen name for AIM is not professional. It is a nickname and online handle I use when gaming. Sure as hell not going to use that for work.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're probably not as paranoid as I am, but you just gave a lot of personal info away. I mean, someone could probably find you quite easily.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I was thinking that to :D

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wasn't, she didn't include a picture, so there is no reason for cyberstalking yet. :p

11. quotemeas macrumors regular

Or better yet, I can assume that those references possibly make-up some of her passwords. If anything, knowing this info could narrow my search.

BTW: I in NO way partake in hacking people's data. The above is just stating an obvious scenario if the data were used in known hacking processes/software.

12. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't that would turn up much in a Google search.

But I'd guess she has a scar on her right knee, and was at times quiet and reserved as a child - silently taking in her surroundings and sometimes being quite choosy before acting on a decision or speaking her mind.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My gmail address is my first name . my middle initial . my last name.