Help creating site 4 sight impaired w/iweb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by loofa, Sep 19, 2008.

1. loofa macrumors newbie

Does anyone know, if I hide text underneath an image, will it be readable by computers that read aloud for the sight impaired? For example, menu button images are important for all to be able to navigate and I have no idea how to do this with iweb. My sight is not specifically for the sight impaired, but I want them to be able to use it too.
    so many thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Partly, it depends on any CSS that is being applied to the text (and maybe some other things), but most likely a browser that reads aloud the site would indeed say those words underneath the image. I can't say it will with 100% confidence though unless I saw the code, but I'm 70% confident from your current description.

Kudos on caring.

3. loofa thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

since I pretty much know nothing about css (well, so close to nothing it may as well be) - hmmmm. however it works in iweb. My intention was to just put text on the site, then put the menu button image over the text, effectively hiding it. So I suppose it's whatever css iweb automatically creates? I know, I'm so clueless on all this :eek:
    My thanks to you for responding (and the kudos for caring felt nice)

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, I feel confident the text will be read by an audible browser based on that description. iWeb won't add any CSS that could potentially cause issues.

5. loofa thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay great. This gives me the confidence to move forward using iweb - just least thinking it's likely to work is better than being totally uncertain even if it's not 100%. I've asked the question elsewhere too, so perhaps I'll accumulate info. In which case I'll post it back here in case anyone wonders.
    gracias