HELP! CUPSD process taking up ALL CPU power

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meyvn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Under processes, "cupsd," which is apparently printer-related, is taking up ALL my processing power, overheating my computer and pushing other programs to the background. I've tried restarting, but it comes right back. Is there any way I can cancel or restrain the process? Or hell, fix the freaking problem itself, whatever it is? All I know is, I've only noticed it happening today, and it coincided somewhat closely (within 8 hours) of my changing wireless network configs around. However, when I completely turn off the Airport Extreme card, it still does not fix the problem. Anyone have any idea? I'm afraid it'll do serious damage to the processor!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In Terminal...

sudo killall cupsd

Now enjoy not having CUPS. Sadly I wouldn't even try to print.

http://localhost:631

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i have a question...if you know its printer related why did you try and turn off the airport card? try removing and reinstalling the printer...

4. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the ultra-quick reply. Incredibly, incredibly strangely, it simply STOPPED stealing all my processing power as soon as I read (but did not yet act upon) your post. This is a very strange problem indeed. Hopefully it doesn't come back, but I have a feeling it will. Thanks again.

5. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't remove and reinstall the printer because there was no printer currently hooked up to the computer when it happened, and because the settings I changed were related to the Airport Express being a print server, or whatever you want to call it. I DID try stopping the other printer processes with the app 'StopStart.' unfortunately stopstart doesn't mess with UNIX system processes, apparently.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

do you have printer sharing turned on in network preferences?

random processes stealing all resources..sounds like vista

7. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so after weeks of testing, I've discovered the root of the problem: connecting printers or printer servers (i.e. an Airport Express) as clients to an existing wireless network. Anyone have any possible permanent fixes? As of now, all I can really do is just end cupsd whenever it starts going Doctor Doom on my CPU.

8. Helmigurt macrumors member

I´m bumping this thread because i have the same problem on my macbook ce..

The process cupsd does weird things, when i force quit it in activity monitor it keeps coming back. No new printers recently, (three networked printers installed, 2 windows printers in office, 1 over time capsule at home), never saw the issue, running on 10.5.8 since day one..

Please help..

Attached Files:

9. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

It was afraid of being killed with sudo.

10. Helmigurt macrumors member

After looking in the stats of the cups management (can be found here), i saw that cupsd tries to get a key from keychain? But I dont know how to solve the problem without disabling cupsd (no printing!). Please help...

Attached Files:

11. dg303pilot macrumors newbie

solution

My problem was that a print job could not find the printer. I closed the print job window, logged out, rebooted. No permanent affect.

Solution: delete the pending jobs. cupsd no longer running.

good luck.

--ken

12. jcotteri macrumors newbie

This was also my problem. Thanks for that :D