Help! Curriculum Vitae!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thebassoonist, Dec 15, 2008.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Hello! I am working on my CV for a grad school application (in sociology). I did my first year of college at a different school than the one I am graduating from. Do I include it? Or only the one I will get a degree from?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Unless you are trying to hide from your year at the other institution, I would definitely add this year of studies to your CV. When people read your CV, they will see either the year of studies at this other institution or a hole in your job/education history. I think the former scenario is far more positive than the latter.

3. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Is this about how it should look like?

B.S. Human Development & Family Studies, University of Utah, Expected 2009
    Biology, Muhlenberg College, No Degree

I'm not sure exactly how to list it.

Thanks so, so much!

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I guess it all depends on the format you have chosen, but I'd accentuate the positive (avoiding the "no degree" clause) and do something like this:

2005-2006 Biology Major, Muhlenberg College
    2004-Present Human Development & Family Studies, University of Utah, B.S. Expected 2009

Best of luck with this

P.S. I always thought you were a music major. I guess you decided to go into something that would earn you some money . . .

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Put a range on it like
    2005-2006
    2006- Planned 2009

Don't use expected that just sounds like your throwing a wing and a prayer planned sounds better

6. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Thank you! And yes, I was going to be a music major... but then I realized that it required some serious talent and long hours in a practice hall. Ha ha. Then, with all that hard work and talent, you get paid close to nothing. :( Poor fine arts. Sociology certainly beats that!
    Thanks again!