Help! Cursor Moving On Its Own

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZacNicholson, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ZacNicholson, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

My 2011 MacBook Pros mouse has been moving on its own and i dont know why. It's been doing it for about two months. I've tried everything to get it to stop. It's really weird, some days it wont act up and other days it wont stop. I know it's hardware related, because i booted the computer into startup mode and it still moved around. I have taken the trackpad out and cleaned it but it still moves on its own. Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

Edit: I've included an Instagram video link that shows what the mouse is doing. http://instagram.com/p/cezMuKH8Ky/

2. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

Did you ever spill something onto the trackpad ?

3. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Nope, I've never spilled anything on the trackpad

4. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

I found out if i push down on it super hard the trackpad stops being screwy for about 10-20 min.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

check your battery. It might be expanding and pressing on the touchpad from below.

6. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

how can i tell if its expanding ?

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Having the same issue on a 2009 MBP 13'' (mom's computer). Sometimes it will just go crazy and open applications and move around the screen all on its own, and other times it's completely fine and responsive.

We haven't bothered replacing it yet as she's just waiting to get a rMBP when they launch the Haswell processors, and she uses a wireless mouse anyways (which allows it to not act up since she never uses the trackpad), but I've pretty much narrowed the issue down to trackpad hardware. I just think it needs to be replaced based on everything I've seen. Like you said, it's all based on the amount of 'pressure' on the trackpad, pressure both solves and creates the issue. Must be a worn out sensor of some type on the trackpad, but I'd take it into Apple.

We actually did take the 13'' MBP to the Apple Store once because of the problem, but we couldn't recreate the issue in the store. They did check to see if the battery expanded, but it hadn't. The issue has gotten much worse since that visit; it is always a recreatable issue now.

8. ColdCase, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Usually a bad trackpad, often moisture contamination.

Don't think there is anyway to fix a 2011 short of replacement... or let it dry out.

One rain drop messed with my 2013 for about a week.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hmm, I would start by taking off the back plate and looking at the battery ;)

Did you check with an Apple store?

11. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

My cursor was doing the EXACT same thing earlier today. 2009 MBP 13". Very odd... :confused:

12. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

did you figure out what was wrong with it? Did hitting the trackpad stop it from doing it?

13. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

okay so here is an update: i took out the battery and the trackpad was still acting weird, so its not the battery. But i did tighten up the trackpad with the magnet and it seems to be working fine but well see if it stays that way

14. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Turns out (I think) it was moisture under the trackpad from bringing it into my slightly steamy shower room. :eek:

15. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

haha that could be my man!!