Help! Damaged headphone port

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by guilira, Dec 20, 2008.

1. guilira macrumors newbie

I was listening to music on my headphones and when I turned around to grab my cell phone I accidentally put too much pressure over the plug, so now I can only hear sound from the left channel. I'm going to take the MacBook to an authorized service provider on Monday. Does anyone know if it is possible for them to replace only the headphone port or is it necessary replace the logic board?

(I bought a brand new headphone and the problem remains, so it is a problem with the port. Also, looking inside the port, I noticed that the top metal contact is slightly higher than the one inside the line-in port.)

Thanks a lot.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Now from experience, I can tell you the headphone jack is indeed apart of the main logicboard and knowing Apple, they'll probably wanna charge you for it's replacement since it's not gonna be a manufacture's fault - unless you learn to lie. Don't tell them what you've done... Perhaps you'd be slightly dishonest and say you've just discovered the fault (assuming there's no visible evidence around the headphone socket)... but i did tell you that.

Anyway, if that fails, you could save yourself a lot of heartache if your slightly technically minded and not too scared to pop open the unit and attempt to do it yourself. There are guides on iFixit.com that will get you inside the system, there's even instructions to guide you to taking out the logic-board entirely.

However, there won't be any instructions to open and fix the headphone socket mount - that'll be something you'd have to devise, and workout how to dismantle the socket without causing visible damage to the RF case or it's connection to the logicboard... I'd say you'll need a pointy plastic spudger to help poke out the earphone contact.

Good luck and don't rush yourself.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

They'll end up replacing the logicboard.