Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roznstyle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
My daughter has an older iPod. Gen 4 I think. It's slow and on its last leg. Her birthday is on Saturday and I was hoping a gen 6 iPod touch would be launched along with the new iPhones. Does anyone have any intelligence on an upcoming event to release new iPods or are we stuck on gen 5 for a while?

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
My daughter has an older iPod. Gen 4 I think. It's slow and on its last leg. Her birthday is on Saturday and I was hoping a gen 6 iPod touch would be launched along with the new iPhones. Does anyone have any intelligence on an upcoming event to release new iPods or are we stuck on gen 5 for a while?

Well the iPods were in fact updated alongside the iPhones with the new Space Gray color. Your best bet is you get a 5th gen, it seems that Apple only does major updates ever other year to the iPod line, which has happened in 2012 and 2010, so I would expect the 6th gen to be released next year.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Apple only does every other year updates to the iPod now. They are not going to release a new one this year. The only reason they introduced the camera-less one was because they needed it to replace the 4th generation iPod Touch that is no longer supported.

October's keynote will be about their Apple TV, their upcoming controller designed for the 5th generation iPods, the new iPads, Mavericks, and new Macs.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Or if you insists then I suggest you wait it out and give your daughter a belated birthday present, see what Apple have in store for October. I wouldn't mind a late birthday present especially if my parents are giving me an expensive gadget. ;) good things come to those wait.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

iPod Touch 4th gen was released Sep 2010, and the 5th gen Oct 2012. Other than the very recent addition of the "Space Gray', there have been zero rumors/leaks, that I have heard anyway, of an impending new iteration of that "Touch'. No one can give you an absolute guarantee, but a 6th gen Touch seems highly unlikely in the near future.

I she has had an older '4G Touch' for a few years, I'm guessing she's a teen by now? If you really wanne make her day, head over to the Apple store on friday, if this is within your budget, and get her a nice colorful iPhone 5C; she's guaranteed to be ecstatic, and with a part time job (if she's old enough for that), a good way to teach her financial responsibility, while chipping in for her own modest voice/data plan.

If you don't feel comfortable with that suggestion, you can't go wrong with a nice colorful 5th gen iPod Touch. http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I agree that the color update (Space Gray) seems to indicate we won't be seeing a new iPod touch model this year. If you wanted to save some money and didn't mind it being a couple of days late, you could order a refurbished unit from Apple.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My daughter has an older iPod. Gen 4 I think. It's slow and on its last leg. Her birthday is on Saturday and I was hoping a gen 6 iPod touch would be launched along with the new iPhones.

Apple didn't announce anything with the iPods or iPads and is unlikely to soft launch either.

Best guess based on history is mid October. Why not let her decide? If she really wants a new iPod now she can get the 5th or wait and see if something new is released. We did that with my nephew and he ended up asking if he could use the gift card he was given and some of his paper route money to get an iPad Mini instead.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

The Touch gen 5 runs very well (we are not stuck with it :) ) and I highly recommend it. There will not be a Touch 6 till 2014 but I would probably wait till the Apple announcements in October in case I'm wrong.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Buy a 5th gen abnd sell it next year or get her a Ipad mini 16gb which is pretty cheap

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Buy an iPod touch 5. There will be no new one this year. If you don't believe me, then no harm in waiting until November 1, 2013. Between now and then they will have their second biggest press conference of the year regarding new devices (iPad, iPad Mini, Apple TV, etc). If no iPod touch announcement, then it is safe to buy the iPod touch 5.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It makes zero (business) sense for Apple to waste gazillions of dollars updating new models for the iPods every single year, considering the fact that the iPod sales and revenue are tiny nowadays compared to their other products (iPhones, iPads).

I'd predict a 6G release in 2014. If we're lucky.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
It makes zero (business) sense for Apple to waste gazillions of dollars updating new models for the iPods every single year, considering the fact that the iPod sales and revenue are tiny nowadays compared to their other products (iPhones, iPads).

I'd predict a 6G release in 2014. If we're lucky.

Zero business sense? Do you know how many metrics are involved in even the smallest business decision? Things may seem simple or easy to decipher but there is a lot more involved than simply sales numbers, not to mention there is more to the story behind sales numbers than meets the eye. They have the best trend and forecasting analysts in the world, so they know a thing or two.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Zero business sense? Do you know how many metrics are involved in even the smallest business decision? Things may seem simple or easy to decipher but there is a lot more involved than simply sales numbers, not to mention there is more to the story behind sales numbers than meets the eye. They have the best trend and forecasting analysts in the world, so they know a thing or two.

That's why they are not coming out with a new Touch this year :D.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Or if you insists then I suggest you wait it out and give your daughter a belated birthday present, see what Apple have in store for October. I wouldn't mind a late birthday present especially if my parents are giving me an expensive gadget. ;) good things come to those wait.

If you wait out a birthday present for a year then it will be time for the next year's present anyway.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
If you wait out a birthday present for a year then it will be time for the next year's present anyway.

I meant October of this year, not next year, I heard Apple having another conference or something? Won't hurt to see what's in store and if it's still nothing they can go on ahead and grab the 5th Gen.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Imagine the iPod Touch 6 with the same 4G capability as the iPad models?

See ya later, iPhone! Thats why they dont do it, of course :)

As for getting the 5th gen iPod? Id go ahead and get it. My daighter has had hers for a while and really likes it. You cant go wrong.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
The bi yearly update scheme of the past year and the introduction of space gray colors would seem to indicate there is no update this year, however we could still be wrong. And in any case the nearest apple event is almost 3 weeks from now (mid October, according to rumor).

you could either buy her the current one and hope for the best or buy her a giftcard for the amount of the ipod, but personally I think giftcards aren't the top choice here.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I hate even suggesting this, but if an iPod is bought now and a new one is announced in October, it would still put you under the 30 day return period..

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
It's probably a good idea to buy a 5th gen now as the chances of a new iPod this year are slim to none. Apple is probably preparing a big update for iPods next year and new products. (iWatch)

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I hate even suggesting this, but if an iPod is bought now and a new one is announced in October, it would still put you under the 30 day return period..

Apple's return period is 14 days (loosely enforced sometimes, but 30 days is pushing it and will probably not be granted).

Other retailers may be different.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Following the 5c iPhone, expect to see multi coloured touch this year, same internals as current gen though .

If she wants a colourful iPod, u might want to wait

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.