Help. Dead MBP, swap out HD into another laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x2thaz, Apr 2, 2012.

1. x2thaz macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 15in MBP (before they went Unibody ) and it got struck by lighting. Yeah I know bad luck (I am in Kenya). At the time when my MBP got struck by lighting I did not have a battery inserted or plugged into a surge protector. With being limited on resources here I can only guess that my power adapter is fried or maybe even the computer. I just have to wait until I can get back into the states to try this out.

Anyways a few days later I tried plugging it in and it booted up perfectly, but that was only a one time deal. Ever since then I couldn't get it to boot again.
    So my question is this if my HD is still good can I take it out and put it into a external case and boot it up from another computer to get the data off of it? If so how would I go about it.

Thank you, I would appreciate any advice

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

Yup, just put it in a harddrive enclosure and pop it into another computer and you should be able to retrieve the old data in it.

3. x2thaz thread starter macrumors newbie

If i bought something like a SATA hard drive docking station to put the old HD on it and plug it in to my newer MBP and boot it from there. Will that work? don't I have to hold down apple+C to boot from the older drive?

thanks again for your help

4. rubirock macrumors regular

if you have access to another mac with firewire and a cable to connect the two, you could try to get it to boot in target disk mode which would save you the trouble of taking the HD out.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661