Help decide between iPhone 7 and 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dasx, Nov 6, 2017.

1. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Hey!

I'm about to celebrate 10 years with my couple and I'm considering buying her an iPhone. I don't have the budget to buy her an X, so my options are between the 7 and the 8.

On one hand, the 7 is cheaper, so that helps; also it comes in pink... which I'm pretty sure she'll love. But, on the other hand, it's one iteration older than the 8... what do you think? She currently has a 5C.

My main concern with the 7 is that being 1 year old, it'll presumably get "slow" 1 year before the 8... And that's not nice!

Thank you!

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Get the 7. Coming from a 5C, she will be more than grateful.

3. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

Unless she desperately needs wireless charging and the A11, the 7 should be fine. Especially coming from a 5c!

4. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Get the 8, she’ll appreciate the True Tone display.

5. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

She definitely doesn't need wireless charging. As for the A11... does regular stuff but I don't know. Probably doesn't need it now, but I in 3 years... better to have an A11 than the A10 I guess.

That's mainly my doubt. Right now she'd choose the pink 7 over the gold 8 for sure, but in 3 years...

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The 5C came out in 2013 and she's still using it. She'll be fine with a 7 in 3 years.

7. cj31016 macrumors member

I say get the 8. $150 difference for the snappier proc, sexier camera, and wireless charging is worth it IMO. Plus since she keeps her devices a bit longer, the 8 might be the way to go from a support standpoint. The 7 isn't a slouch though if you wanna save the pennies.

8. macTW Suspended

I say 7. It’s one year removed from the 8, without many significant internal changes. One year of processor isn’t that big of a change now, and it’s with the same amount of ram.

9. Suspenders macrumors regular

Suspenders

If it was for you, I'd say get the 7.

Since it's for her, get the 8. On top of the spec/camera improvements, I also think the screen looks better overall on the 8.

10. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

I would want the 8. If you're already spending that much money, what's another $100. Also, since she keeps her phones for awhile, the newer version will last longer.

11. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I’d say get her the 7. Huge leap from her 5C.. If she likes to take pictures, the camera alone is a huge upgrade..

12. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Nothing to decide. The 7 is about to become legacy. One good year left, and one mediocre year, then it will become frustrating. Do you want to give your love frustrations? Do you?
    Buy her the much improved 8. She will love you another 10 years..

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Get the 7. It will be fine for a few years. It's a phone, not a computer. It's not going to slow down that much -- certainly not like the 5C must feel right now and that is a 4 year old phone. Use the $ saved for whatever the hot model in 3 years is.

14. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

Hi again!

After reading all of you, I think I'll go for the 7 and AirPods. What macTW said about the 7 having as much ram as the 8 was key, because that means the 8 just has a better CPU (besides the screen,wireless charging etc, I mean hardware that determines whether or not the device runs slow), and even the CPU isn't as much of an improvement as it was from the 6 to the 6S or the 6S to the 7 (according to Geekbench).

Thank you all and by the way, someone said there is a $100 difference between the two... well no. In Europe the iPhone 7 is €639 ($740) and the iPhone 8 is €809 ($940). Yes, Apple overprices all their products here in a way that is almost insulting, but we're stupid enough to keep buying them... :/

Cheers!

15. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Cheaper and pink is all you need to know.