Help decide: Keep or upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dasx, Nov 7, 2013.

1. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

OK, I'm deciding between two scenarios.

Background: I own an unlocked iPhone 5 which I bought on launch day in an Apple Store. One week ago I called my carrier and told them that I had received a very good offer and that I wanted to leave. Result: Free iPhone 5S 16GB Silver sent to my home (locked to the carrier, obviously) with a 2 year contract of 37€/month (+ 21% of taxes).

Scenario 1: Sell iPhone 5 for around €400-€430 and keep the 5S till iPhone 6.

Scenario 2: Sell iPhone 5S for around €600 and keep the 5 till the 6.

Additional data:
    1. I think I like the black version better (my 5 is black and the 5S is silver), although I'm not sure yet.
    2. iPhone 5 doesn't have Applecare anymore.
    3. I don't care about the fingerprint sensor, only the new camera capabilities tempt me (quality + flash + slow motion) and also the battery improvement (mainly compared to the state of my iPhone 5).

I guess the question is: Would you rather get €200 or the new 5S?

2. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

Sell the 5 before it devalues more, stick with the 5S, and then sell the 5S next year and get the 6.

3. kh3khalid macrumors regular

So in Spain you call your carrier and tell them you're going to leave and go to another company, and they send you a new iPhone for free?

I'm moving to Spain.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Exactly what I decided to do. W/ so many places doing trade-ins now it's possible to upgrade every year without having to pull full price out of pocket.

5. dasx thread starter macrumors 65816

dasx

Mmm... I'm probably leaning towards that but I still can't see having the white model for a full year. I'll sure like it at first, but I'm afraid I might get tired of it and miss the look of my black iPhone 5.

As for devaluation... well, the 5S is still sealed and all so I can get almost full price for it. (It's 699€ at the Apple Store and I can easily get 615€...), but next year it will be something like the 5 is now. So in the overall picture I think selling the 5 now would mean around 100€ less. (Nothing that I care a lot as it's less than 10€/month).

Probably one of the main cons is the color. Darn!

Well... yes. You can move to another carrier but your current one has 24h to try to keep you, and they offer you different stuff. That's a tricky road though, and I didn't wanna risk switching carrier because I'm very happy where I am, so called them and went right to the point. "I'm being offered blah blah blah, what do you offer me to stay?"

I ended up with a free 5S. I have to be in this carrier for 24 months and I'm compelled to pay €37+21% for 18 months. Then I can choose whatever plan I want, even a 9€/month one (minimum).

The best thing about it is that prior to that I was paying 43€+21% for the same plan, but they offered a discount too, LOL

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

lol when i left AT&T for Tmobile, they sent me an email offering me $200 to come back to them, which would've covered the cost of a new iPhone under contract.