Help deciding a backup solution for MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jdl8422, Sep 15, 2009.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have a mac pro that is my main machine. In there I have my boot disk, and a 2 disk raid for my itunes. I just built a hackintosh as a backup machine. I think I am starting to overthink the back up situation and I am now getting confused. What would be the ideal solution. Should I just use the hackintosh to clone my drives? Should I just use it as a time machine? or should I just use both? Also, what are your opions on RAID options.

My mac pro has a 1TB boot and a 3TB Raid 0.

I am thinking just clone the two HDs as well as use a TM backup. Thoughts?

2. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

There's no such thing as an ideal backup solution. There's also no such thing as too many backups!

Having multiple backup options is not a bad thing. Cloning the entire disk every day is not a viable option really, so you need something like time machine to to periodic hourly/daily/weekly backups. This regime should be bolstered with an alternative backup method that is kept in a different location from your Time Machine backup and your main Mac. The permutations for achieving this are almost endless. But I'd certainly go with two options Check out ChronoSync, you might find it offers more options to you than Time Machine AND more convenient than cloning the entire drive.