Help deciding between 5s and 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rlb4, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rlb4 macrumors member

I am looking to get my 14 yr old son an iphone. It is his 1st smartphone but he has an ipod touch so he is familiar with ios. It would be on contract with AT&T. Currently the iphone 5s is $200/16GB and $300/32GB while a certified like-new iphone 5 w/ 32GB is $150. He has filled about 15GB of his 32GB ipod touch, mostly with apps/games. I would be worried that 16GB would be too small. I would rather not spend $300 vs $150 but it is not a deal breaker. He is not a power user. Basically he texts, plays some games and uses Instagram. Would the 5s be that much of a benefit to him? I don't think he will need the processing power and his picture taking is pretty basic. I do like the extra battery life and fingerprint scanner. How much better real world battery life does the 5s have? So basically I'm asking is the $150 extra worth it in his usage situation? Thanks.

2. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

A 14 year old will destroy an iphone won't they?! And on contract, that's asking for big bills.

Why not a 5C? Or even a 4S outright?

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

For right now, the 5 sounds like it'd be a much better fit for you.

Unfortunately, things change and, since the contract (and phone) lasts for 2 years, you have to count that things will.

Is it worth the extra money for you? Only you can decide that, but realize that a 16 year old's needs and phone habits are completely different than those of a 14 year old.

The simple rule for technology is to always buy the newest and fastest that you could afford.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

A protection plan is always a good idea. Only the 5s would be eligible for AppleCare+. AT&T provides insurance as well, but the deductible is higher.

Also the drop tests have shown the 5/5s is more durable than the 5c, so it is possible the 5c might not be as good for a 14 year old.

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

My 2 Daughters started with iPhones at 12 and never broke them. Why do you say that a 14 year old will destroy an iPhone? Don't get an outdated 4S because a 14 year old will hate that it's outdated. Same goes for the 5C as far as outdated goes but if it has to be one of the two then get the 5C.......From what I have seen even HS kids laugh at the 5C like most of us do. Get the 5S.

6. rlb4 thread starter macrumors member

The 5c is almost definitely a no. He doesn't like the look. And since it is basically a 5, he would go with the 5 over the 5c. He is pretty careful with his stuff and it will almost always be in a case. Probably Spigen Tough Armor or Slim Armor S. As for Apple Care+ or insurance I will take my chances as an OOW replacement is like $260 I think. How much better battery life does the 5s have over the 5? Also, I think the certified like-new iphone 5 comes with ios 6. Is that a good or bad thing? Does the 5 have any issues running ios 7 or is it better to stay on ios 6? I am leaning towards the 5 because it is $150 vs $300 for the 32GB and I just don't see that the 5s is a huge increase for a non power user like my son. I am trying to get as many opinions as possible so keep them coming. Thanks.

7. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Instead of a 5, get him a 4! You don't need to pay anything, or barely anything to buy a 4.

8. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Go with the more future proof 5S for sure, I have gone the route of choosing the lower-cost year old phone instead of the pricier but cutting edge new phone and regretted it. I just updated from an iPhone 4 to the 5S and from now on I'll be getting the newest phone available. You never know when a major iOS update will render the older phone barely usable then you're stuck with it, not to mention apps eventually get left behind also as developers optimize for new hardware.

9. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

A 5 will easily run iOS 7, and the 5s battery isn't that much better than my old 5 was. A used 5 not an option?

10. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

The 5 shouldnt have that issue for quite some time remember the 5c is almost identical hardware and everyone that bought it this year thinks its the "latest and greatest" because it is, its an old phone packaged in a new shell. By doing that Apple has effectively extended the life of the iphone 5 due to the 5c coming out a year later with the same specs.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Go with the 5S. When you're signing a contract to get the phone it's always best to get the latest model. It might seem like you're saving $100 now but the 5S will last longer and when it's time to sell it to upgrade to something new, the resale value will more than make up the difference of that initial $100 extra you're paying right now.

12. Bear macrumors G3

Certified like new doesn't give any guarantees about the battery life. Also, what warranty would it come with? And remember if you get a new iPhone you can get AppleCare+ which extends the warranty and has accidental damage coverage.

13. rlb4 thread starter macrumors member

I'm leaning towards the 5s now as I just saw that the AT&T "certified like-new" iphone 5 only has "at least a 90 day warranty". I don't get a good feeling about that. I am looking at the Walmart BF deal for a 5s for $190 plus a $75 gift card. I assume even if I buy it at Walmart I can still go into an Apple store if I have any problems during the 1 yr warranty period?

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes, Apple will honor the one year warranty for devices purchased anywhere.

The AT&T "certified like-new" devices are slightly different as the one year warranty started when the first person purchased the device. My understanding is those devices are simply cleaned up a little and resold at the discount. AT&T will warranty the device for at least 90 days from the sale date even if the original one year warranty is up.

15. rlb4 thread starter macrumors member

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Best Buy has been running deals all month. Check there. I would go with the 32GB 5C. You can put a case on it and it looks like just another iPhone 5. The 5/5c/5s will atleast get him through the next iOS

32GB will give him enough space for videos, photos, and most games.

Or the 16GB 5s and use the iPod for most of the gaming.

17. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I gave my 15 year old son my Black 64Gb iPhone 5 when i got a 5S. And a black apple leather case.

----------

Not many 14 year old boys would want a 5c, girl yes.

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Hardly. I was 14 when I got the very first iPhone.

19. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone of that age need a 5s over a lesser, cheaper model though? But I guess if money's not an issue than it doesn't matter...

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Absolutely if he games. You keep the 5 and get him the 5s, if you're matching phones to type of usage.

21. rlb4 thread starter macrumors member

I went with the 5s 16 GB. I was not comfortable with the refurbished AT&T 5 because of the only 90 warranty. What made it a no brainer was when AT&T had their 50% off sale on smartphones. So I got it for $100. After deleting a lot of unused games he was easily under the remaining storage. As for protection, I got an iloome flex glass screen protector and a Spigen Tough Armor case. It should be pretty well protected.

22. RebornProphet Suspended

Only adults with the mentality of high school children will "laugh" at another adults choice of smartphone. I find the notion that some act in this manner utterly pathetic and embarrassingly elitist.

Does having a 5s make you feel more important or special than those with a 5c?

23. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yep seriously. What adult laughs at the 5c? It's a great phone.

24. RebornProphet Suspended

My father in law got his white one yesterday and it's the first time outside an Apple store I've used one.

It makes my 4s feel so slow going back to it! I would seriously consider one when my upgrade comes in March ... especially the deal he got it on.