Help deciding between MacBook models!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoboProco, Nov 22, 2014.

1. RoboProco, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

RoboProco macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I hope this post is in the correct place.

After almost 5.5 years with my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro, I'm finally looking to upgrade; however, I'm not sure what I should be upgrading to, and I am hoping you can help.

I have narrowed it down to 4 options:
    • Late-2013 13", 2.4 GHz dual i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,091.55
    • Mid-2014 13", 2.6 GHz dual i5, 16GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,472.45
    • Late-2013 15", 2.2 GHz quad i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,424.05
    • Mid-2014 15", 2.0 GHz quad i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB Flash ---> $1,650.93

The prices listed are what I have found to be the best for each model (from Apple, MacMall, BestBuy, B&H, etc.), and include all taxes/cashback/coupons/etc.

As for what I use it for, I'd say I'm a pretty standard user. I use it to check email, prepare documents, listen to music, browse the internet, watch YouTube/Netflix, etc. I occasionally use it to create movies in iMovie, as well as perform the odd Photoshop job here and there.

I have done plenty of research on how much RAM is needed, and I understand that the switch from HDD to Flash will be much more significant than a bump from 4GB RAM (my current) to 8 or 16 GB. However, I will use this computer as a "desktop" as well, and would like to keep it for the next 4 years or so, so I am wondering if I should go with the 16GB to future-proof it.

Also, I am not sure whether I want to stay with the 13" or go up to 15". Compared to my current MacBook, the 15" really doesn't seem much bulkier. But I am wondering whether the money spent on the extra screen space would be better spent on more RAM for the 13".

If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

2. leman macrumors 604

I think the cheapest 13" would be a reasonable option for you. Or, if you want to have a more powerful machine and have some free cash around, you can always pick the base 15". At any rate, given the casual computer usage, its quite unlikely that 8GB RAM or a dual-core CPU will be a serious limitation in the next few years.

3. kanewtz macrumors member

You're probably better off buying from the Refurb store.

I see many options you are looking for available there.

4. RoboProco thread starter macrumors newbie

The cheapest 13" was my initial choice, but the 15" is somewhat enticing. So if I were to go for the 15", you think the 8GB would be enough?

Thanks for the tip! I did check out the refurb store, but from what I've seen, I'd only save about $10-$40 depending on the model. I'm comfortable paying that additional amount for a new device. But if I am missing something, please let me know - I'd appreciate it!

----------

Wow, I apologize. I thought I proofread my post, but I just realized I had some prices in the wrong order and mislabeled. Please see the edited initial post for the *correct* info. Thanks guys!

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Like others have suggested the base 13" and maybe an external screen would be the best choice for you.

6. RoboProco thread starter macrumors newbie

And of course, as I finally make my decision and go to purchase the computer, I realize it had been a sale that has since ended. Ugh. I guess I've learned my lesson about indecisiveness. :confused: