Help deciding between Macbooks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobertD63, Dec 6, 2008.

1. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

All right guys I'm very torn between thisMacBook Pro(2006 I think) and this BlackBook. I dont know! I know the 06 MacBook pro isnt that great in specs right? But that BlackBook is great in specs. But the MacBook Pro is a Pro. I dont know really I think I'm way over thinking this one. Im about to lose it LOL:apple:
    Thanks guys!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What to do you plan to do with it?
    That will help determine which to get.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh Im so brain dead right now.. I have a skype call goin and im going at like 1000 MPH sorry about that. I forgot. I am going to be doing a lot of video editing in FCE4. And the skype calls and the Vloging and maintaining my website via Cyberduck and FTP. Plus your general Iming and internet surfing.

4. Cory5412 macrumors member

I would go for the blackbook, it'll hold more ram (6 or 8 gigs, because it's one of the newest ones on the 965 chipset) and it's already at a faster speed, plus it's easier to upgrade the ram and hdd on them, and macbooks have a better keyboard than the old macbookpros.

The 2.0GHz Core1Duo macbook has a crappy keyboard, a slower system bus, a less-capable optical drive, will only hold/use a maximum of 3gb of ram (although they advertised it as being able to hold/use only 2,) and will be more difficult to upgrade the hard disk on. The only advantage that it may have is a larger display.

*Note about keyboards: This is a very subjective thing and I've heard of a lot of people who love the macbookpro and powerbook g4 keyboards. I, personally, think that they are the worst keyboards ever, and have specifically avoided buying many really good deals on brand new previous-gen MBPs because of how much I hate the keyboard.

5. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah see my friend kept telling me that the MBP is better and he kept buying into the Mhz myth! Plus I'll need the Ram when rendering and the CPU. So yeah the BlackBook is a definite go.

PS. I liked the iBook keyboards (there the same right?) but I also love my Apple alum. :D

6. Cory5412 macrumors member

iBooks and Titanium PowerBook G4s used a different (better) keyboard from the aluminum powerbook/macbookpro keyboards.

Macbook/Blackbook have the same keyboard as the desktop aluminum keyboards, so you'll be happy with the macbook keyboard.

The MBP is a "better" machine but the one to which you linked is like three years older than the blackbook in question.

Also, MHz myth is really a thing of 2002, when Intel's massively "fast" 2.0+GHz (and eventually 3.0GHz+) Pentium 4 chips had lower actual performance than some of AMD's and the G4 chips, because of how inefficient the intels were at the time, on the netburst microarchitecture. Now that we're on the Core microarch, "MHz for MHz" most chips perform about the same, except xeons with massive caches, and of course there's a little boost in each generation of Core.

Anyway, it sounds like the blackbook will do a good job for you!

7. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

If you're doing a lot of FCE4 stuff, DEFINITLEY go with the pro. The Macbook has the absolute garbage Intel GMA GPU, which would totally cripple your video editing ability. Although the specs on the Pro are slightly lower in terms of architexture and bus speed, the X1600 card, although old, still destroys the GMA in terms of performance.

Once again, if video editing is your thing, the Pro is really your only option.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, agree with guitarmaster18; if you are doing anything with video, or that requires excellent graphics, the MBP is the way to go. It has a far better screen, and its video card is still better than the newer MB. If the visuals are not of paramount importance, then I'd suggest the MB.

Cheers and good luck

9. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! My parents have decided that were going to get a brand new one. The new MacBook Alum. So its the best of both I guess. But I'm Really happy!!