Help deciding between the refurb MB or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by losingstreak, Aug 17, 2009.

1. losingstreak macrumors newbie

I am new to Apple, but am used to the OS because of Final Cut Pro on my college's computers. I have decided to switch from my Dell desktop to a new laptop. I would like to play one of the newer games in Windows, but will mostly be using it for standard things. I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the two, beyond the obvious specs ( better HD and processor on the MB). Here are the two. I am leaning towards the regular mac book. thanks. oh and first post, so hi my name is Matt.

MB
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB467LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    MPB
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB990LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Neither of these will play newer games very well since they don't have a dedicated GPU. the 9400M is, from what I've seen, similar to my ATI 2400XT in my iMac, which can run most games in the past 2-5 years with low to medium settings. I would assume low for newer games, though it obviously depends on what you're playing.

However, out of those 2 I would go for the MBP since it's the same cost and has a 7 hour battery. The .2 GHZ you'd get from the other one (and to be clear they're pretty much the same aside from a few things) isn't worth the trade off.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The battery isn't worth a trade off either if the uses are "gaming" and "Final Cut Pro"- both which will require being plugged in for any appreciable amount of time.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Battery life vs. upgradeable hard drive, you decide.

5. losingstreak thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses. I thought there was going to be more differences between the macbook and macbook pro in performance or something else. if it comes down to solely battery vs. HD, I would rather have a larger HD. only thing i will need to do is add more memory.

6. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

it does have an upgradeble HD you just take of the bottom plate and upgrade it i did it it is as easy as pie

7. losingstreak thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, i read a little about how easy the memory was. so i should just get the pro model? i don't need/want a slot reader though.

8. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

The other thing to think about is that the screen on the 13" MBP is far superior to that on the 13" Macbook.

9. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Also, you have to think about whether you're going to need Firewire or not. The 2.4 model doesn't have any.

10. losingstreak thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't need a firewire since I will only be getting a lower-end external HD. If the screen is better then I might have to buy the MBP instead. How is the screen better?

11. stevegut78 macrumors member

Wow, I was hoping to find some comparisons on these two models because I'm stuck in the exact same predicament. I was all set on purchasing the MacBook - FB467LL/A until I noticed the MBP FB990LL/A and noticed it can top out at 8GB ram vs the 4GB of the MB. I am good with the smaller HD for now(I can upgrade that when the time comes). I think personally, having a max of 8GB ram sets the MBP apart. The small dif in processor speed will be easily made up by not being capped at 4GB on the MB. Remember, this is SHARED with the video so your actual USABLE memory will be below 4GB. I can speak first hand on how RAM can choke your CPU. I'm typing this on my Mac Mini that I upgraded from 1.83Ghz to 2.14 but I can only top out at 2GB ram...So the RAM bottleneck is making my mini run slower. I believe the MBP is a newer model also since it includes the 7hr battery. Also, I don't know what that other guy was talking about but there is no difference between the display on the MB and MBP.