HELP deciding High-End 15" or 17" MBP?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimithing, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jimithing macrumors member

Ok so here I am now stuck between getting the high end 15 or the 17 the way I have them configured they are only 200 diff in price...

high end 15 w/ 128 SSD and anti glare - 2400 after tax (give or take)
    17" w/ 128 SSD and anti glare - $2600 after tax give or take....

Dosn't really matter what I use it for but is it worth it for the 2 inches for any of you are your uses?

2. kjos8035 macrumors member

I'd say go 17", if you don't mind the slightly larger profile. For me as a web developer and gamer, the extra real estate is really worth it.

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

If you're not worried about portability then the 17" will be your go to MBP for a long time. Go for it.

Remember, there is a 14-day return window so if you cannot stand the size after a week, just return it.

4. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

is there anyone thats owned both who can provide some input? I've always owned the 15, but with the high res option its nearing the price of the 17". My guess is that the 17" MBP is not your average 17" laptop as its much thinner than the PC counterparts?

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'm contemplating the same.. but I sorta feel like if I go 17 I may as well use a desktop and buy an inexpensive air.. which is around the same price.

Wait for imac refresh + 11" air = price of the 17" mbp-ish.

6. HacKage macrumors regular

I too am having this dilemma, but I think I'll be going for the 15". I think the extra weight, and minimal res improvement over the Hi-Res AG 15" and of course cost is just a bit much, plus for resale purposes, I feel the 15" model will be easier to sell as it is a better size for more people.

7. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

What about for gaming purposes? Which of these systems will be better?

8. HacKage macrumors regular

The GPU isn't exactly top end, so running it at the lower resolutions will obviously provide better fps figures, but the resolution differences aren't big enough for you to notice any difference in quality. I very rarely played any games at the full res on my 2010 MBP, always turned it down a bit in order to get a higher fps rate which is far more important to me than eye candy.

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It depends on what you want to do with it. are you going to be carrying it around or never move it off a desk? For carrying around the 15" high-end is way better. Live with carrying the 17" for a year and you will see the 15" as a big advantage. But if it's almost always on a desk then it doesn't really matter much.

10. HacKage macrumors regular

If it's almost always on a desk then I would say get an iMac and low end MacBook/MBP instead for portability.

11. VTPete macrumors member

I've got 'em all... Here' the scoop:

Hi,
    I have a 17 inch MacBook pro and a 15 inch MacBook pro. Both are decked out and both have the matte screen. I also have an 11 inch MacBook Air ultimate.

(If you're wondering, the 17 inch is my personal computer and the 15 inch was supplied by my company.)

Of the three, my favorite is the 11 inch MacBook Air. But, it's not the most productive. Allow me to continue.

The 17 inch has the 1920 x 1200 screen, the 15 inch the 1440x900. That's very significant. For me, it's about pixels, not inches. When I'm developing software, I want the 17 inch. The 15 inch is nice, but it's not small enough to be useful on a plane, etc. So, the extra 2 inches doesn't matter. The 17 inch still fits in my backpack and I lug it around without a problem.

I would never buy the 15 inch when the 17 inch is available for only a couple hundred more. Never, ever.

I love both, but I love the 17 inch more.

Which leads me to my Air, which I'm typing on now. It's the thing that I still say "wow", every time I pick it up. The size is perfect for traveling, bringing to bed, sitting in a chair, on a desk, you name it. I have a coating of Invisible Shield on it; I do this with all my computers... I like the extra gloss, but also the slight tacki-ness it gives to the air when you grab it. I would hate to have it slip out of my hand. Everyone agrees it looks sweet and is functional. I know, I know, you're asking about the 17 vs 15. I digressed.

To answer your question: Get the 17 inch. Matte screen.

-VTPete

P.S. I DO like the "glossy" screen on the Air; it's much, much, much less reflective than the edge to edge glass of the MacBook Pro 15/17. Ok, I digressed again.

12. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Hey how about 17 inch vs 15 inch w/ high res???
    I believe 15 w/ high res provide most people w/ highest satisfaction(well at least that's what I like to believe). 17 incher is really for specialized people...

But yes, 13 inch mba sounds super nice but not till they put SB and backlit keyboard.. I can only afford one unfortunately so I will be going for 15 mbp w/ high res(i also program but 17incher is monster)

13. HacKage macrumors regular

I think if you are going to spend that amount of money on a 15" laptop, you HAVE to buy the hi-res upgrade. Once you do, the difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 are minimal, and not sure if you would really need that extra amount unless it is for a specific job.

14. psxtreme macrumors member

I'm also in the same boat, I'm planning on buying a new macbook sometime after April and I was originally deadset on a 17" because of the expresscard functionality, but now with thunderbolt I'm wondering if it's even necessary. Extra screen size would be nice too but I carry my current 15" early 2008 around a lot and I'm not sure about the extra weight. Still leaning towards the 17" because of the expresscard (mainly for USB 3).

15. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

get the 17"

pretend your EDU. (i did it, they dont check or ask for proof)

save 200$

problem solved.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you plan to use it at a desk or table, in your home primarily, the 17-inch isn't bad. It's not great if you have to move it around a lot, or want to use it on your lap.

17. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

GO for it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

18. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

that logic applies to all of the macs :)

I just sold my i5 15" HR AR (proceeds to Red Cross) and will be needing a new one. I had the Optibay in it as I never used the Superdrive, my dream machine would actually be a 15" Macbook Air *drool*

19. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I've owned both a 15" high res and 17" 2010 MBP.

Both screens look great and give you -imho- plenty of real estate to work with. My opinion is that the 15" is a perfect blend of power, screen real estate(HR at least) and portability, but the 17" is great as well.

I guess the only thing near a conclusive answer I can give you is that I loved them both, but will be purchasing a high end 15 (HR) in a couple of weeks :)

You'll be delighted either way.

20. VTPete macrumors member

I feel a bit dumb: For the record, my 15 inch IS the 1680x1050. I can't believe I said it had the lower resolution... somehow I had that number in the back of my head.

Anyway, I'm using both as I type right now side by side and you're not going to go wrong with either! But, I still like the 17 inch better when I'm working.

OH, DON'T GET A STOCK 7200 RPM DRIVE! They'll buzz your hands off!

-Pete