Help, deciding new paint for classic car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheGenerous, Jul 8, 2011.

1. TheGenerous, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Hi, I'm restoring a 1981 Malibu Classic and would like suggestions for a new paint and audio equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please help me with suggestions or other classic cars you like. These are a few I like;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. leekohler, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god. I drove that very Chevy as a teenager. You just brought back some memories! Mine was a deep navy blue. I would suggest that color again. That was a good car. Also, get some whitewall tires for that baby. You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and this is my favorite car I ever owned: The 1983 Dodge 400 convertible. I miss that car so much it's ridiculous. It was the same color and everything as the one in this picture.

Attached Files:

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'd stay away from the hugger orange on that car.

My recommendation would be either keep the same color, or go with navy or black.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Navy looks really good on those cars.

Attached Files:

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'd either repaint it the same color or another of the color choices that were originally available from Chevrolet for that car at the time it was sold.

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Me too. I prefer classic cars in their original condition :)

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I've always wanted a DeLorean, fully jazzed up like in back to the future, that or one of the aston martins form james bond (with weapons). Just imagine rollin up in one of thoes things, or getting cut off, say by by to your tires.:D

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This.

9. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Go dark. Maybe with a pearl effect paint? Curious how that roof panel will look.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

looks like the interior is green ... paint it the exact color it was when original

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, if that colour was available for that year. I am a strong proponent of using original colours too.

How you deal with the tonneau roof might be interesting. Perhaps baby-blue?

12. TheGenerous thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

AN original colour for the year.

Big difference, especially when you are talking about what looks like Sea Green.

Yuck.

:p

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

Nothing beats a car's factory color, the way she was born restored to her former glory, IMO.

15. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

If you aren't gonna do a REAL color change (door jambs, trunk, engine bay, ect,...) then stick with the original color. An original color with faded paint in the jambs and engine bay looks FAR better than different colors when you start opening the car up.

As for a stereo, it really depends on what you are going for. I spent several years installing stereo's for street pharmacists, SQ competition and everyday Joe's who wanted something that sounded ok. I even helped build a record setting SPL Geo metro (172.4 DB) as a shop car.

Outline what you are going for and what you listen to and then I can further help you in that department.

16. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

17. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

You honestly can't beat the 1970 Chevelle. My dad has one right now that is almost done. True SS 396. Black paint with pearl white stripes. He also has a 1968 Firebird that he used to drag race. That car is two-tone black and silver and looks exactly like the one in the picture below. Its in the paint shop right now though. 750 HP. Pretty fast car.

Neither of the pics below are my dads cars but they look identical to these.

Attached Files:

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm another in the original colour corner; that is what makes these cars look like a true "classic"; thus, navy blue, BRG, or black - above all, whatever colour your actual car was first manufactured in, or rolled off the production line wearing.

Cheers

19. StvenH90 macrumors regular

I say original color, but I am not crazy about the 81 Malibu... If your going to change the color, at least do it correctly. I probably would paint it purple, just because.

I love classic cars and currently daily a 72 Triumph Spitfire in the heat of Florida. I am also eyeing a 78 Alfa Romeo Spider, with A/C (Rare dealer installed option).

20. TheGenerous thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

The owner of this car told me where he got his car paint done. I think the car looks good. He's around his 60's, easy going person, said this wasn't the original colors but from another car he liked from a photo.

It's very cheerful and simple color for this car, and that's what I like about it so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How would the Malibu Classic look with this same design?

21. TheGenerous thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

@leekohler, that's cool to bring you good memories. I'm not precisely a teenager, but this car I drive is my grandma's.

@Tomorrow, I was thinking on black, however I think it might look like a funeral car. I'm not sure.

@DewGuy1999, yep, thanks man. Unfortunately those original colors are too sad. I'd liked black though.

@lewis82, thanks mate.

@Dr Kevorkian94, DeLorean is a classic!

@Lagmonster, yeah I don't know what's going to happen to the roof.

@Apple OC, the interiors is almost like an apricot.

@iJohnHenry, baby-blue, yeah I was thinking on that color too. Definitely not a sad color yet classic.

@puma1552, I think you're right, but maybe it's good rejuvenating it too.

@VPrime, I'm not sure why you're downranked, lol

@tktaylor1, those are cool cars, thanks for giving me more options.

@Scepticalscribe, thank you.

@StvenH90, great man! any idea for audio?

22. StvenH90 macrumors regular

You like the idea on purple? Hmmm, for audio... I always gone with Alpine head and amps, then Infinity speakers.

23. puma1552 macrumors 601

One thing to keep in mind also, given that the paint is pretty beat, is that even if you redid it as the same factory color, you'd probably be blown away.

When paint looks ill it's easy to say the color sucks or whatever, but with fresh paint it will be an entirely different experience.

24. TheGenerous thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

25. Eriksson macrumors newbie

i´d go for some kind of cooper metallic, something subtile (?)

maybe something like this?
    [​IMG]