Help deciding on a new 2G iPod Touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deanshu, Oct 12, 2008.

1. deanshu macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking forward to purchasing a 32GB iPod Touch 2G, through taking advantage of Live.com's 30% buyitnow eBay rebate. I just have a couple of questions:

1) I keep seeing threads here about battery issues. Is this a major problem, or a minor problem? Should I wait until Apple addresses it?
    2) Do you think that Apple will release a iPod touch with a larger capacity in the near future, or before the holiday season? Since the iPod touch utilizes flash memory, it would probably increase by a multiplier of 2, making the next memory upgrade 64 GB?
    3) Has anyone tried the Live.com cashback, and have you have any problems with it?

People are selling the new 2G iPod touch for around Apple's list price of 399 USD, but with the Live.com cashback, if it works, I would end up paying around 270 USD. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Dean

Edit: Forgot to ask: I may be looking for a clear thin case, or even just transparent wrapping as it appears the aluminum back will have some substantial scratching issues. Any recommendations?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

1. Not sure, I haven't seen many of these threads, but another week or two should clear up most of these issues, and don't expect Apple to publicly address this, it would just be a change in the manufacturing process and the newer produced ones wouldn't have the problem.

2. I can almost guarantee that they will not upgrade the memory any earlier than early-March or late-February. There is almost zero chance of there being an upgrade before Christmas.

3. Never tried them, so I can't speak towards that.

3. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks for the info.

Looking forward to seeing what other people say :)

4. JonathanKeegan macrumors newbie

I'm extremely interested in purchasing a new iPod touch from ebay using the 30% cashback bonus. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm in a similar dilemma as the OP.

5. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

I'll try and keep you posted, or better yet, you can check back on the thread :)

6. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

I bought the 32gig 2g from the apple store the day after they were announced and I do not believe the battery lives up to what it is announced, but I'm also not unhappy. It's manageable for me because I'm between work and home, with both places having comps for me to juice it up if necessary. Long as I get it full before I to out and about.

My estimate is 6 hours pure web surfing. 6 hours music, 3-4 hours pure video.

7. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I wholeheartedly agree on the video and web browsing figures- pretty much exactly what I've got- but 6 hours music? I've done 8 hours overtime at work- perhaps listening to tunes for 6 hours including faffing around with Coverflow and rating tunes as they play and not even got towards half the battery life remaining.

Like they say, YMMV :)

One thing that can really extend your battery life is turning off WiFi and Location Services- these really eat your battery.

(PS- not sure if this would make a difference, but all my mp3's are 192K- no Lossless or AAC codecs)

8. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Only 6 hours of music?! I'm assuming you have WiFi on and the screen brightness up pretty high?

9. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

Now that you mention it, you're probably right. I'd say 8 hours music, I've always kept wifi on. I'm gonna do some experiments without.

10. wowurrcool macrumors member

Be aware that you have to wait 60 days to get your cash back.

Also, you MUST buy the item within 60 minutes of clicking the link that led you to eBay in order to qualify

11. drb6 macrumors regular

Whoa 8 hours? 6 hours? Thats extremely low no? According to the site it should be getting 36 hours of music time. Am I missing something?

If you're not surfing and wifi is off with maybe a bit coverflow, should it still be over 15-20 hours?

12. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip, I definitely did not know that until you told me ;)
    I heard there is a "six cashback" limit on your account... after your 60 minutes is up, does it count as if you used up one "cashback"?

Thanks,
    Dean

13. wowurrcool macrumors member

If you wait longer than 60 minutes, it does not count for anything, you just can't claim any cash back.

And you are correct that you may only make 6 cash back claims total. I believe this is per ebay account / windows live ID.
    :D

14. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Without derailing this thread too much, can someone explain this Buy.com or Live.com thing about a discount? I'm still considering an iPt so, saving a few bucks is certainly something I'm interested in. ;) I have accounts all over the place (Buy.com, Live.com, etc) so that's not an issue... just wondering where this so called 30% thing came from...

Thanks!

15. Mechanicus macrumors member

16. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Go to Live.com
    Search for "iPod touch"
    Near the top there should be some sponsored results with the top one being eBay, and a 30% off notification.
    Click it, and choose an item that you want to buy.
    Throughout the purchasing confimation stage you should see the 30% off logo, and once you finish the purchase you should get a PM from eBay saying something about cashback.

Not sure about it then, as I haven't purchased anything using it :)
    Keep in mind that it takes 60 days for the cashback to clear, so you need to wait that long in order for the funds to be transferred to you.

Can't believe I'm promoting an Microsoft service on a Mac forum, but I guess the justification of saving money is all it is. :)