Help deciding on first imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rmeza707, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Rmeza707 macrumors newbie

Hey I'm new been reading the forums to try to help me decide which iMac I should get. New 21 i3 vs refurbished 27 i3. I will be using it for web surfing, watching YouTube videos, storing my music and photo collection 100gb and growing. The reason I was thinking about the 27 is cause of the beauty of it. My only concern is alot of people complain of everything being to small on it cause of the pixies. Any help will be appreciated. Also how will YouTube video look on the 27 full screen. Thanks

2. whoda macrumors member

whoda

You can adjust the resolution. Personally, I set mine @ 1920 X 1080. A bit easier on the tired old eyes.

3. Rmeza707 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read about lowering the resolution. How does it look lowering the resolution on the pictures videos ext. I don't really want to lower it as it's going to take away from the 2560 pixels it offers. If that's the only option I rather get the 21.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

After getting so used to my Mac at full resolution I couldn't go down to a lower resolution. If you did it right when you get it then it may be different for you but I would not like it a any lower resolution.

You could always go to an Apple Store and test it out and see what looks good for you.

5. Macginger macrumors member

Macginger

I'd have to agree with benhollberg, if you can visit an apple store do it before you make that decision to buy, they will help you and change settings so you can see which you prefer, plus you get a little advanced tuition in front of your purchase, good luck matey :)

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'd head to the store and see which one looks best to you.

And refurb 21" i3 models are also an option. Apple has them on the website for $1,019.

7. Rmeza707 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only reason I haven't gone to the apple store is b/c the closest one to me is 1 1/2 hrs. away from. But looks like I might have to. Has any one ever order from the Mac mall? If I get the 27 I'm thinking of getting it from there so I won't have to pay any taxes.

8. GoDuke1 macrumors member

1st post here!

I am a new iMac owner, and I went with the 21.5 as I didn't have room for the 27". The resolution on this one is perfect and I can't image it being larger. Print would be too small (at least for me). My decision came down to the iMac with the larger HDD. I opted for the 1TB HDD.

9. Rmeza707 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went for the 21.5 1499 model. Does anyone know how I can transfer my iTunes library that I have on an external harddrive to my Mac? Would I just have to plug it in and transfer. I back it up on my external harddrive before my pc die on me.

10. GoDuke1 macrumors member

I just did the same. Just import the files and your golden! I still back mine up on an external too.

11. Rmeza707 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did your playlist and everything else stay the same since you went from pc to Mac? I'll try it on Thursday which is when my Mac should arrive.

12. GoDuke1 macrumors member

Mine did. BUT I have an iPod also, and since I have sync'ed it that may have a lot to do with it. I saw no difference between the two.